Like Tree3Likes

Mobile phone contracts?!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mobile phone contracts?!

Hi

Recently moved to HK and need to purchase a new phone. Will be here at least one year but more likely 2 years. I realise most contracts are 24 months.

I obviously cannot get my old phone contracted as it's an IPhone, and don't think pay as you go sims are good for Internet etc. price wise.

So, can anyone recommend any good deals/places?

Thanks

need more info.

You need data? if so, how much? Roaming? what area? How much you want to spend?

Also its very common here to buy the phone separately and get a sim only contract.

Hi

Thanks for your reply. To be honest I'm not "down" with all the phone lingo! I use Internet when out and about and commuting each day. Only need it for HK and will turn off roaming elsewhere. Is SIM only contracts suitable for such usage do you know? Really only looking to spend max £45 each month for good phone. If SIM only probably only like £20 a month. Not sure if this is possible...

Of course. If you don't stream video and only use basic Internet like Facebook and whatsapp. Then there is the slow plan unlimited data, all the carriers have it, 6 or 12 months contract depending on carrier, it's something between HK $68-88 per month plus the admin fee which is 16 or 18 per month. Forgot. The price keeps increasing so I would aim for the longer contract.

Smartone is very slow with this plan.

New world or telecom digital is better. Uses CSL and 1010 towers, good enough speed for me. I think you might be able to buy at some CSL shops, not sure.

Now don't be a sucker, the staff at the shop will play dumb like this plan doesn't exist, as they don't get any credit or commission from it.

And of course this is SIM only plan.

Right, seeing as you used pounds, I'm assuming you're coming from the UK.

Mobile contacts here are slightly different to what its like back in the UK when it comes to taking out a new mobile phone with the carrier. Back in UK, you get the phone cheaper or free, with you being locked into a tariff, paying more per month if you take out a more expensive phone.

Here in HK, the monthly payment do not subsidize the phone, rather you pay for the new phone at the beginning, and then over the course of the contract it slowly deducted off your monthly bills.

Over here you can simply take out a monthly plan without a phone, so you can carry on using your existing phone. Just make sure you have contacted your mobile carrier in UK first and have it unlocked (as its an iPhone) so you can use the sim card here.

My current plan is just a monthly one, without a phone as I had my own phone already. Just to give you an idea, I'm with One2free, paying $298 (thats around 20odd quid) per month with a 6Gb data limited.

Look into how much data you will be using (would you have wifi where you stay and work), and how much speed you need the data.

pin and HKtostay like this.

I currently use "SUNMOBILE" and there's a year contract including calls, texts, and unlimited internet... i only pay $98 per month. Crazy price!! I was in shock when my friend told me about it... The speed for the internet is alright, it isn't as fast I suppose, but it is useable. It doesn't take much to load a page.

Ya same one I have. It's good. But I have a friend who has smartone and I often tether my sunmobile and he's able to use it haha

wtbhotia likes this.

Smartone has a 88 dollars plan:
    GoodCare Plans for - SIM Only Plans - SmarTone

Most contracts are for a year or two, csl is what I have been using for a while and the service is excellent

ballyball there is an additional $18 admin fee on top of that making total $106. My wife just signed up for it. The plan you posted replaces their old plan which was $80 total.

Last edited by Flat Hunter; 10-10-2015 at 06:10 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast