Protecting Oneself

Closed Thread

Protecting Oneself

Hi! I was just wondering how does a person protect oneself from perverts, etc here in HK? Are citizens allowed to carry pepper sprays or such? If so, where can it be bought? Thank you

Last edited by dginipir; 12-04-2005 at 11:09 AM.

HK is a very safe place. I don't think you need to worry about defending yourself too much. If you're really worried, perhaps buy a whistle and some blow darts.

Pepper sprays are illegal -- only law enforcement can use them.

Will try and dig up a reference to this. We'd researched this several years ago for an idiot who wanted build a business exporting pepper sprays to Hong Kong, after watching one too many kung fu triad movies, from the US. (Dont' ask me ... )

The regulations might have changed ... but I doubt it.

Meat cleaver's are a option, but if you get caught using one outside your kitchen while aggressively attacking someone, whether it's for defence or what! You'll be charged for assault, maybe sent to Jail. Don't say I didn't warn you 'cause they are illegal too... Having said that, you can freely buy them and use them quiet legally in your home, providing your chopping up some groceries.

Generally, Chinese people think. If you dress like a whore then you'll be treated like one. Appearance is everything in Hong Kong and most people are happy with that and Physical Violence is rare, generally reserved within the home, often between two married people, where one partner cheats.

Question? Why do you feel you need the use of Pepper Spray?

Last edited by lazarus; 12-04-2005 at 01:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus:
    if you dress like a whore then you'll be treated like one. Appearance is everything in Hong Kong and most people are happy with that.
    y, the no. of men dressed as whores here is unbelievable..willing to do anything for money.

Rent Boys you mean?
    Erm... What part of town do you hang out in?

hehe... I think if i was dressed up and wondering around without a job and someone offered me work, for money. I'd do it but then again, I'm game for most things... only once like and nothing illegal. You know what I mean? So long as it's non of that 'ass for rent' business.

*Stands on the street corner*

Last edited by lazarus; 12-04-2005 at 02:02 PM.

I have never felt unsafe in HK. Lots of people around all the time. Why do you feel unsafe?

business

..i mean't the businessmen..of course that's a dif kind of prostitution..just making a point against the whole dressed as whores thing, actually, since this is a typical male argument for "invited" obscenity..