Like Tree6Likes

Certified True Copy in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Certified True Copy in Hong Kong

Can anyone offer any advice about how or where to get this done at a reasonable price. I'm Australian and in Australia you can get it done for free but so far I am getting quoted $1000HKD per page which seems beyond outrageous to me.

I have tried the Australian consulate and as it is related to my wife's visa application for Australia they won't do it. I tried Judiciary.gov and they won't do it. I'm getting desperate guys and would prefer not to be screwed quite so badly. If I have to pay some bucks then I understand and will do that but just hoping to avoid total pain. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Last edited by eastside_gweilo; 04-09-2015 at 04:56 PM.

what's the requirements?

When you say a certified true copy, do you mean it has to be performed by a notary public? $1000 is on the cheaper end of quotes ive seen for certifications by a notary public.If a certification by a practicing lawyer is all that is required, then can get this done for around $250 per document.

jrkob likes this.

Thanks for the replies guys. Fortunately my wife found a friend whose daughter is a lawyer and we got the documents certified for free. We had a number of documents to certify and saved probably over $10,000hkd

I must say this is one of those situations where you are probably going to get fucked in Hong Kong. There may be some accountancy companies that will do it for about $600 per but they were painful to speak with and in my opinion had no idea what they were doing. They also wanted me to scan all of the documents as a pre-process and send them. I can't see how this is necessary. It seems about $1000 per is the going rate at the law firms.

Sorry but that is almost $200aud for 2 mins of their time.

Last edited by eastside_gweilo; 11-09-2015 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by eastside_gweilo:
    Thanks for the replies guys. Fortunately my wife found a friend whose daughter is a lawyer and we got the documents certified for free. We had a number of documents to certify and saved probably over $10,000hkd

I must say this is one of those situations where you are probably going to get fucked in Hong Kong. There may be some accountancy companies that will do it for about $600 per but they were painful to speak with and in my opinion had no idea what they were doing. They also wanted me to scan all of the documents as a pre-process and send them. I can't see how this is necessary. It seems about $1000 per is the going rate at the law firms.

So sounds like you only needed a lawyer to certify the documents, rather than a notary. That wouldn't generally cost $1000 per document. Perhaps they just didnt want to deal with it so priced it out knowing you wouldnt go ahead. As I said, I know a firm who will do certifications for $250 per document.

I am not familiar with the Aussie law but I just tried to find a workable solution. I googled and found following link

Who all can certify true copy in Australia.

https://www.nationalcrimecheck.com.a...ed_true_copies

Find any of the following person studied in Australia and get it Certified in Hong Kong. Please don't take this as legal advice, its brainstorming and solution fetching.

Quote Originally Posted by eastside_gweilo:

If it was just simple certifying documents it would NOT cost you HKD10k, that is just ridiculous.
    ummbongo and shri like this.

For Australian visa and migration purposes at the Australian consulate in HK, anyone of the following people can certify documents and the way they should do is described at the bottom of the page:
    VISMG: Certifying Documents - Australian Consulate-General

There happens to be an Australian registered accountant working in my company so this has come in handy for me. I had to renew my WA drivers licence last month and needed to jump through similar hoops to get the forms witnessed.

Someone long ago on here set out a perfect explanation of what situations you need notarisation, certification, statutory declarations etc.

A lot of the information you guys are posting is simply wrong. As stated in my OP the purpose of having the documents certified is for an Australian spouse visa for my wife. The Australian Consulate will not assist in the certification of such documents.

@bigpanda - since you know a firm perhaps you would be so gracious as to share the information.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast