Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Plutark
  • 1 Post By wtbhotia

Landlord not returning my deposit

Closed Thread

Landlord not returning my deposit

Hi,

I am having dispute with my landlord over my rental deposit. He came for an inspection, handed over the full deposit in cheque and I gave him the keys. 2 hours later he said he overlooked one crack on kitchen counter and would call his bank to not honour the cheque. I had already deposited the cheque but didnt get the money due to that. And now we are arguing over this crack on kitchen table, which I believe was there to start with and it grew over our tenancy from a 3cm to a 10cm crack at the edge. I remember telling him about the crack early in our tenancy but he doesnt remember it. My stupidity that I said it over phone and dont have email proof. He believes it was spotless and I dont have any pictures taken at start of tenancy to support my claim. He probably doesnt have either or may be he has some pictures of the flat( could be dated though). Also, he is bringing up some things again which werent an issue during handover.

1. Stains on a wall due to stickers. (He says need to re-plaster while just painting should do it(general wear n tear)
    2. We replaced an old sofa with another one which he believes is inferior. I had told him about it when we replaced but he doesnt remember it now. I dont have the sms proof with me.

We had discussed both these things during the handover and he was okay with it then at handover but now is bringing it up again.

I am inclined to go to small claims court as the conversations with him arent going anywhere and I think am being taken for a ride.

I want to know if anyone has experience with the small claims courts in such things i.e how time consuming is the process and what would be my chances here? I dont want to waste too much time on this but want to do the right thing when getting exploited.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

small claims is less than $50000, if you meet this criteria then sue his ass. he will probably quote you for a new sofa, re plaster the wall, change the kitchen table top (could be very costly), so in my opinion, if your deposit is less than 50K, I dont think you will see any off it back to be honest.

Oh and the agent you used is not going to do diddly squat so dont even bother finding them.

Good Luck

arathi likes this.

There is no proof from either side, so it's a bit of he said she said.

that's why I told my landlord to fck off and keep the deposit, I will not pay the last 2 months of rent. The state I found the flat when I moved in was disgusting and they were supposed to clean it.

arathi likes this.