Like Tree119Likes

Police Questioning

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by rakedavids:
    cho man - what a terrible generalization...

there is no comparison between the racism of late which has been going on the US with police officers and in HK. In any case a few incidents anywhere in the world is often magnified and blown out of proportion when the media get wind of it,
    cops are trying to do their job. i dont look at them asking me for my card (only been asked once in my 36 years) as anything beyond them simply doing their jobs. I, in fact, see them target mainly those scruffy looking Chinese and non-Chinese to ensure they are not overstaying or wanted persons...

As usual, your 2 dollar "insight" is worthless.....
    No, its not, its the truth. If you are brown or black in HK, there is a higher chance of you getting stopped and questioned by the police. They automatically think anyone who isn't HK looking or white is suspicious.

I had some trouble with the police a couple weeks ago as well down at the boardwalk next to Star Ferry in central. You are not allowed to smoke down there, but being Friday and after work I did it anyway. It is quite common people do it down there, e.g. next to the DB pier at Beer Bay. Anyway, I got approached by 3 cops and told to put out my cigarette, which I did. I was then told I will be issued 2 tickets, one for smoking 1500HKD and one for trashing 1500HKD(I put the cigarette out by throwing it on the ground and stepping on it).

So, they asked for my ID, which I gave them. Then they started asking for my adress, what work I do, how long I have been in HK etc. I told them that I don't see what difference it makes, and if they just could give me the ticket so I can continue that would be highly appreciated. They told me they will mail the ticket home to me, which I found a bit odd. I still refused to give the adress, to which they said that if I do not give them my home adress we have to go down to the police station, to which I replied that is completely fine with me because I am in no hurry.

Having told them I can go to the station with them, as they themselves had told me that we will do, made them quite pissed off. I had to listen for 15-20 minutes about how I am causing trouble and that "You are not a child". This scolding was punctuated a couple times again with demands that I give my address, or they will take me to the police station to which I always responded that I don't mind going there.

Anyway, 25 minutes later one of the cops, who had stayed quiet the whole process told me okay, look, I will give you a warning this time which I said fine, thank you.

I saw one of the cops who gave me the scolding again this week down in Sheung Wan while going out to get lunch from the office, he recognised me while I was walking down the street and came up to me with "Hey, I know you, what are you doing here etc" Ignored him and he shouted something to me from behind but don't know what.

I am white

Quote Originally Posted by rakedavids:
    cho man - what a terrible generalization...

there is no comparison between the racism of late which has been going on the US with police officers and in HK. In any case a few incidents anywhere in the world is often magnified and blown out of proportion when the media get wind of it,
    cops are trying to do their job. i dont look at them asking me for my card (only been asked once in my 36 years) as anything beyond them simply doing their jobs. I, in fact, see them target mainly those scruffy looking Chinese and non-Chinese to ensure they are not overstaying or wanted persons...

As usual, your 2 dollar "insight" is worthless.....
    Nope, I'm not the one with worthless comment here. Why is the police refusing to accept the reasonable explanation of the OP? They are not doing their jobs, more like abusing it.

If you think the HK police don't target minorities, that just show you don't go out enough (or you are white and don't notice this).
    Last edited by Cho-man; 16-09-2015 at 10:01 AM.
    wtbhotia and nickelodeon1997 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Liked:
    ... and then you post a link that confirms exactly what I wrote...

Well done, genius!
    Hold on, didn't you say that police have the right to stop and question for no cause, or am I incorrect?

Quote Originally Posted by henkka:
    I had some trouble with the police a couple weeks ago as well down at the boardwalk next to Star Ferry in central. You are not allowed to smoke down there, but being Friday and after work I did it anyway. It is quite common people do it down there, e.g. next to the DB pier at Beer Bay. Anyway, I got approached by 3 cops and told to put out my cigarette, which I did. I was then told I will be issued 2 tickets, one for smoking 1500HKD and one for trashing 1500HKD(I put the cigarette out by throwing it on the ground and stepping on it).

So, they asked for my ID, which I gave them. Then they started asking for my adress, what work I do, how long I have been in HK etc. I told them that I don't see what difference it makes, and if they just could give me the ticket so I can continue that would be highly appreciated. They told me they will mail the ticket home to me, which I found a bit odd. I still refused to give the adress, to which they said that if I do not give them my home adress we have to go down to the police station, to which I replied that is completely fine with me because I am in no hurry.

Having told them I can go to the station with them, as they themselves had told me that we will do, made them quite pissed off. I had to listen for 15-20 minutes about how I am causing trouble and that "You are not a child". This scolding was punctuated a couple times again with demands that I give my address, or they will take me to the police station to which I always responded that I don't mind going there.

Anyway, 25 minutes later one of the cops, who had stayed quiet the whole process told me okay, look, I will give you a warning this time which I said fine, thank you.

I saw one of the cops who gave me the scolding again this week down in Sheung Wan while going out to get lunch from the office, he recognised me while I was walking down the street and came up to me with "Hey, I know you, what are you doing here etc" Ignored him and he shouted something to me from behind but don't know what.

I am white
    Ha, in your case, I am afraid the police might be right to scold you. Asking for your address is a perfectly legitimate request. Being unhelpful in that regard could land you in bigger trouble than you realize.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 16-09-2015 at 10:06 AM.

Not sure you are right,

The police have the power to question anyone in accordance with the above rules. On the other hand, the common law as well as Article 11(2g) of section 8 of the Hong Kong Bill of Rights Ordinance (Cap. 383) provide that a person has the right not to be compelled to testify against himself or to confess guilt, i.e. every person in Hong Kong has the right to silence. By virtue of that right, a person may in general refuse to answer any question posed by a police officer. However, the driver of a vehicle who is suspected of committing a road traffic offence or being involved in a traffic accident must give his name, address and driving licence number to the police upon request ( section 63 of the Road Traffic Ordinance, Cap. 374).
    I wasn't driving a car, so seems to me that I am not under any obligation to give them my adress.

Actually, as it is my right not to give them my address I don't see why they need to get all worked up about me exercising that right. I had people come up to me afterwards asking what happened and why the cops were so aggressive.
    Last edited by henkka; 16-09-2015 at 10:14 AM.

You are not allowed to smoke down there, but I did it anyway.
    Cho-man, Elegiaque, madal1 and 5 others like this.

Not sure you are right,

I wasn't driving a car, so seems to me that I am not under any obligation to give them my adress.
    But you were littering. Address falls under confession of guilt? Are you really sure you can refuse to answer?

In any case, unlike the OP, you were committing an offence, so the police can ask you what they want. I have no sympathy with you, unlike the OP.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 16-09-2015 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    But you were littering. Not sure if address falls under confession of guilt. Are you really sure you can refuse to answer?

In any case, unlike the OP, you were committing an offence, so the police can ask you what they want. I have no sympathy with you, unlike the OP.
    Thats true, I did, just like a all the mainland chinese down there who smoke as well. Anyway, I never had an issue with the fact that they tried to issue me a ticket or that they approached me to ask my ID. Actually, I think they did the correct thing and if they did that will all the illegally parked cars in central as well, I would be very happy.

The problem was, these cops went nuts over the fact that I exercised my right to stay silent. I do understand that it might be inconvenient for them, but that still doesn't change the fact that I dont need to give them the adress.
    Cho-man likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    and @pin,

So what is "due cause"? Acting suspiciously? Oh, you walked suspiciously, you looked suspiciously in front of you, you breathed suspiciously, your clothes are suspicious, whatever. This is your "due cause". This is a cop deciding that you did something suspiciously, and therefore you need to show your ID. In other words they can stop anybody they want, and ask for ID. That's what I wrote, and that's what you confirmed with your links.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast