View Poll Results: Where do expats choose to live, when they own their property ?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hong Kong Island ~ N-S-E-W

9 36.00%
  • Kowloon ~ Inner/Outer

3 12.00%
  • New Territories ~ All districts

10 40.00%
  • Lantau Island ~ Tung Chung, Discovery Bay, Mui Wo etc..

2 8.00%
  • Outlying Islands ~ Lamma, Cheung Chau etc etc

1 4.00%

Where do home owners live ?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Where do expat home owners live ?

I thought it might be interesting to gauge where majority of us expats live, when it comes to owning our own digs.

We have had polls in the past regarding where people are most likely to live under a rental tenancy scenario, and the outcomes were not all that surprising.

Will the stats change significantly, when live in, owned property applies ?... Do more people who own their live in property, live on HK Island, or are people that own their live in property, more inclined to live in other eclectic districts ?

Let the poll begin

BTW: This includes live aboard boat owners also.

Last edited by Skyhook; 16-10-2008 at 11:17 AM.

I own my place in west Kowloon side but am looking at moving somewhere else to get a bigger apartment.

I could never imagine myself living in an expat area such as mid-levels and tung chung etc.

Ha ha - glad I caught the final line of your post skyhook - i was going to ask if boats counted!

Jimbo - every time I put in a post that mid-levels is an expat area I get redblobbed by about 3 people who claim it's not. I disagree with that, anywhere that there is more than 5% expats by definition must be overweight in them, but there you go!

The New Territories rock!

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:

The New Territories rock!
    And the saddest part is that I know of a lot of ex-pats that haven't even left HK Island yet.

Here we go again with the Gold Coast - Sham Tseng - Siu Lam crowd...

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    I own my place in west Kowloon side but am looking at moving somewhere else to get a bigger apartment.

I could never imagine myself living in an expat area such as mid-levels and tung chung etc.
    And I doubt that TungChung is an expat area other than pilots.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    And the saddest part is that I know of a lot of ex-pats that haven't even left HK Island yet.
    From time to time, come across the odd coupla expats who, initially, have little inclination to check out anything New Territories. Eventually, I manage to drag 'em up as far as Mongkok for sushi and cheap yet drinkable beers. That opens their eyes a bit to the lives of average Joes, as well as eye-brow raise a lot...

Wouldn't mind living on HK island, other from the noise-levels and crampness, seems pretty convenient in many ways, BUT I much prefer the (manageable) commute and separation from the areas where I work and hang out.

Happy with Kowloon, and like the NT - a sometime change-of-scene and pace.

>> that mid-levels is an expat area I get redblobbed by about 3 people
    >> who claim it's not.

Oh, I'm sure people love to red dot you just to wind you up and you fall for it hook line and sinker.

There is a difference between "expat area" and "an area where expats live". Majority of the population in Mid Levels remains local residents. Keep in mind that Mid Levels is a LOT more than what you see when you do the escalator tour.

Same applies for places like Pokfulam etc. Majority of the population is local chinese or long term residents - not expat renters by far.

There is a large Indian population in the Mid Levels - a lot of them have been there for 40-50 years.

>> And the saddest part is that I know of a lot of ex-pats that haven't
    >> even left HK Island yet.

I could easily go a week or two without even going into Central - just on the South Side. How sad does that make me?

Only reason I'd go into town is for beers or customer meetings or both.

O.K, so, judging by the stats thus far, does that mean there is a correlation, that when somebody else is paying the rent, people are more inclined to live on HK Island, but when it comes to spending your own disposable income on live in ( owned by you ) property, people look at off HK Island options more so ?...

The reason I posted the poll, was because out of all the people I know that own their live in property, 95% of them own off HK Island... I was curious to see if similar results were apparent in general here ( on Geo ).

Because, if we use the last where do you live poll that was done the last time, the stats were the complete opposite of this one, when renters & owners were included...

Anyway, I was just curious to know....

Last edited by Skyhook; 17-10-2008 at 12:31 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast