Like Tree16Likes

feel homesick in hong kong

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hey, I am also a newbie in town, away from my home town, friends and family - in short my comfort zone. On top of that, I am also not that much young as a fresh grad...

Everything aside, don't beat yourself up. 2 months is nothing and there will be ups & downs, just accept it. Yet you eventually will have the greatest experience because you will learn yourself much better than you would have in your 'home'. Enjoy being alone for a while, believe me at first it will feel weird. Then you realize that if there is nobody to please, accompany or control, you have a more 'clear' mind.

As said above, do whatever you enjoy. Try new things, explore yourself, push your limits. Initially, you may want to sit at home and do nothing. That's the big trap, force yourself to go out and do something different every day/week (nothing big is a must as details change everything). While you enjoy yourself, people with similar interest will come to you and you will enjoy their company.

Make a game plan. Go for meet-up/other online events or look for courses/classes that sound interest. Just dontinue doing whichever feels right. After 6+ months, you will be shocked how much you accomplished and will just remember everything with a big smile...

I know what I am talking about as I am someone, who was about to pack everything and return back to home on Sunday. I didn't and I am happy now. However, everything can change and that's the beauty & excitement. I always had similar feelings when moving into a different country (3 in total, I know not much!) but this time is the most challenging one for me because of the language barrier. If you don't have it, you are in a much better place than others. Don't demotivate yourself! Do NOT forgert: When you are down there is only one direction to go...

More than a year or it never happens

Finding hobbies is important and a job that you like. If things aren't working then try something else. The beauty about HK is you can always get off your feet again when crap hits the fan.

I used to follow routines and go to the same restaurants then the staff get to know you. Hiking is fun and now I have 2 dogs. A partner helps too if they are supportive. But you have all the freedom to travel to new places all within easy reach. So start exploring yourself and what you like. Don't worry about what other people think.

Agree as well, 2 months is nothing. After the initial excitement comes the first realisation of missing things 'back home'. Meeting friends, your daily routine, culture, everything has changed. I have noticed this myself when I came here, and I have seen it with others.

Give yourself time to adapt, and keep meeting people. As they say in SouthPark, Chat Roulette and real life are pretty much the same, If you wanna find some quality friends, you gotta wade through all the dicks first!

Invite people to join an activity you truly like yourself on this site (e.g. hiking, shopping, movie, eating out, flying kites, whatever), or join in an activity you identify yourself with. It will help you to find likeminded people more easily.

Good luck, and don't give up. What you are going through is a normal part of adaptation.

wow so many responses.. thanks guys <3 im going to check out that meetup thing and also change my job...because i kind of hate it. im going to look up hip hop or dance classes too, if anyone knows anything about those good to keep up a hobby

Quote Originally Posted by bubblebear:
    ....im going to check out that meetup thing.... dance classes too
    Go look in meetup.com

I had a quick peek and I see at least a dozen dance groups of all types in there....

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    I came here on my own, knowing nobody, and within a month I had loads of friends. Granted it was probably easier to meet people in those days, when nobody spent their entire waking lives staring at smartphone screens and ignoring the world around them.
    Ah ...the 1950ies :-P
    wtbhotia and bookblogger like this.

here 3 months now.... still here, still in my job. still think about quitting everyday but for some reason haven't done it yet :/ lord knows why. havent started meetup yet. dont know why. have tried some random classes and did some more volunteering. i usually go for dinner with people at work so that gives me something to do. i actually dont like them though so i probably wont go out with them as much. things are a bit better with the people i live with . a bit less awkward. which is good. i kind of think, my confidence is really low anyways so it affects me in my job, and also with other poeple. prolly something to work on. i want ot look into private tutoring because its higher pay andi don't need to deal with a manager. so if anyone has good websites for private tutoring let me know hope everyones okay xx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2