Like Tree79Likes

Where would you have gone to if it weren't HK?

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9

I still often think about the Greek islands, where I lived 20 years ago. It's not a place to find work but I may retire there.

hullexile and Elegiaque like this.

Actually after having been here a few years, I now slowly have learned to love all that Hong Kong has to offer. You do have to take the bad with the good. No place is perfect but Hong Kong in it's own strange way has worked out some benefits you won't get anywhere else.

Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    I still often think about the Greek islands, where I lived 20 years ago. It's not a place to find work but I may retire there.
    Which island(s) did you live on?

Corfu and a village on the Peloponnese, but I visited lots of other islands, and I wouldn't mind somewhere like Amorgos. The food, climate and lifestyle are wonderful.

hullexile likes this.

Corfu and a village on the Peloponnese, but I visited lots of other islands, and I wouldn't mind somewhere like Amorgos. The food, climate and lifestyle are wonderful.
    Greek Islands are terrific. But not sure if I want to retire there myself though. Still, love the food and weather there.

If my memory serves me right, Corfu was/is like GREECE lite lol lots of English Premier league football on the Corfu Pub/cafe TV's, British beers sold and the usual English cooked stodge meals available, as it was a popular 'Young Brit' ( cheap )summer tourist spot..

I can see why Bookie likes it lol
    Last edited by Skyhook; 23-11-2015 at 09:18 PM.

I did say I was working there, and you go where the work is, don't you. I have no interest in those sort of holidaymakers.

I preferred the smaller islands without airports and on irregular ferry routes. Iraklia and Nisyros were two of my favourites.

Last edited by bookblogger; 23-11-2015 at 09:22 PM.
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by R.O.:
    When I went to Wellington, New Zealand, I thought: This is where I should have come.
    - It is about as far from where I started, London, as I could get.
    - It has the authority of a capital city, but the comfortable size of an English provincial city.
    - It is both familiar and foreign.
    - The wind and sunshine every day seemed to cleanse my body and my mind.

Then I thought: I would have ended up working for a government agency, teaching English to immigrants, for a derisory salary. I would have looked enviously westward, to Japan or Hong Kong, and thought: That's where I should have gone, and earned real money.

In Hong Kong, I looked discontentedly northward, southward, eastward, and westward, and thought: I should have gone to ...
    I've lived in Wellington. It's mostly cold, wet and windy and full of Kiwis.

NZ is a nice place to retire. It's very quiet. I don't think the food offerings are quite as good as they could be. Need to put the natural food source to better use! Quite an amazing place full of natural beauty. Though it does get a little cold.

Quote Originally Posted by jack55:
    NZ is a nice place to retire. It's very quiet. I don't think the food offerings are quite as good as they could be. Need to put the natural food source to better use! Quite an amazing place full of natural beauty. Though it does get a little cold.
    Give me a kayak and a vineyard full of Pinot and I could happily retire to NZ....

Closed Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9