Bad experiences working as English Teacher in HK?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Arrow Bad experiences working as English Teacher in HK?

Just wondering if anyone has experienced any bad things regarding working for any English Tutoring Centres or 'schools' in HK? What I mean by bad is has anyone worked for any dodgy places in this industry etc.. before I plan to go to HK, I'd like to find out more about these things...

I worked at an English Tutoring Centre owned and run by local Chinese. The one thing I would say is that they never paid me on time, they always tried to barter my monthly salary every month. In my book, I sign a contract which states my salary and thats that but they were always scamming. But that's just my experience. I was only there for 4 months.

Have you taught at an HK school before? There's a BIG difference between schools here and those in US/Europe.

I mean it's just accepted that kids are allowed to fall asleep in class, they will talk over you and never shut up (hence why classrooms have microphones), they'll get out their seats and walk about the classroom - it's like a Zoo. I'm meant to be working in a Band I school aswell... Basically, you've gotta take no prisoners from the start and you can have the kids behaving as if they were in a western school within a month or two.

Also, the teachers - the Chinese are very sly. They'll talk behind your back and if you get on the wrong side of them they'll turn situations around in order to place the blame on you. So again you have to take no BS.

Having said all this, teaching here is great fun and I would wholly recommend it!

That sounds like the local system.

The children at the international schools are angels compared. It's unfortunate, but money realllllllly makes a difference in the schools. A big difference. And a lot of money.

But yeah, local school children are more than a handful, and a headache for teachers.

International school children get the attention they need, at home by parents who don't need to overwork, and/or from a full-time helper who is paid to be an added guardian, friend. They also benefit from smaller classes.

Red face

no I haven't taught in hk before but now after these comments I think I'll look into teaching in the International Schools first - is it quite competitive to teach at these schools than the local ones?

Yeah teach in an international school if you can. I teach at an English Medium school, it still helps to know some cantonese command phrases though!

I imagine it is more difficult to teach in the International Schools - most of their courses are in English.

But the local schools pay very well for foreigners to teach English. Very well.

>>I imagine it is more difficult to teach in the International Schools - most of their courses are in English.

don't know why ?

>> But the local schools pay very well for foreigners to teach English. Very well.

better than IS ?

Teachers and visas

A friend is hoping to move to HK and has been certified in TOEFL, experience teaching at a universiy level as a sessional lecturer, but no degree in education (rather an BSN and MBA). It seems that for government schols, the lack of a BA in education is a probelm. And, for others there is willingness to hire, but not to sponsor a visa. Tips anyone>>

i am a fulltime english teacher in a private institute. it's not a bad job but just bloody boring. Students are mostly adults so I can usually reason with them. yeah they are quite since they're brought up that way.

as for the salary, its alright but its still better paid to work parttime

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast