Bugs : Fact of Life in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

We have never had any traditional insect problems, being on the top floor, but we did have a bit of an issue with wasps a while back. Three wasps flew in through an open window one night, as the third one flew in, just as I was closing the window, it stung me on the arm. Hurt like a beotch, but I managed to kill all three with a well placed tennis racquet. And if anybody gets bitten by a wasp, pull the stinger out straight away and place an ice pack on the 3mm diameter puncture mark... The pain pretty much goes away then. Although my arm felt bruised for about a week after, I was quite surprised how aggressive they are.

The photo of the spider that Taihungao posted, was of Hong Kongs Banana spider. Pretty common in the NT, a fairly common sight in Sai Kung when we lived there, as were the odd bamboo, rat and cobra snake.
    I actually had one of those spiders in my car once, which somehow managed to get into the cabin.

I caught one of those Banana spiders on film, when we were in Tai Po last at Kadoorie farm, at about the 2 minute 10 second mark.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH2m3ebUoW0"]YouTube - Kadoorie Farm & Botanical Gardens - Hong Kong[/ame]

No big deal, just watch where you walk when off the beaten track.

Last edited by Skyhook; 21-10-2008 at 09:52 PM.