Thanking the person that pays the bill

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Having been on both ends of the food chain, I will have to agree with PLDM. When my boss took us out to lunch, I was like "ah f-you, thanks for ruining my lunch break". Who wants to spend their lunch hour with their boss? Why should I thank him for that? Now that I have my own little team, I feel guilty when I have to take them out to lunch. I know they would rather be doing their own thing. I don't expect a thank you.

It's a cultural thing I reckon. The boss-employee relationship is different in HK than in the west. Where we come from, the boss wants to be your friend and vice-versa. Not here!

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I think I will stick to my guns and be the wierd polite one and keep thanking my boss, and I will not take offence when no one thanks me next time I take them out.

what I need to work on now is my chopstick etiquette, coz quite frankly, I am so sh*t at using them and my colleagues are blatantly giggling at me at times, don't really care but I suck ass and need to work on this.

Thanks again.

Sophie

Quote Originally Posted by Sophienaz:
    what I need to work on now is my chopstick etiquette, coz quite frankly, I am so sh*t at using them and my colleagues are blatantly giggling at me at times, don't really care but I suck ass and need to work on this.
    That is a rather unique way of eating noodles, so I can see that they might giggle!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophienaz:
    If you don't use your chopsticks as drumsticks, rub them together as if making fire, twirl them like batons, stick them under your upper lip, point them at people then you will be doing better than many gwailos I've seen.

Try practising at home picking up peanuts or peas. And hold them nearer the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Try practising at home picking up peanuts or peas. And hold them nearer the top.

Although I've been told that the position you hold the chopsticks indicates how far from home you will marry. That is, if you hold near the top, you'll marry somebody a long way from your (original) home.

To the OP, I agree with what KIA said about a kind word and a thank-you to anyone who helps you out. Whether it's providing a meal, holding open a door so it doesn't slam in your face or whatever else, no matter how trivial. A simple thank you costs nothing, and it acknowledges the choice and effort that person made to do something for you.

There should be more of it, really, so please don't stop.