Like Tree24Likes

is unable to communicate? it a local thing or a new global phenomena?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    Really? Why is that? You only respond to people who speak or communicate with proper grammar and punctuation? That seems a bit elitist to me.

I agree with the general issue that people in this part of the world generally don't respond as quickly to things, if at all. Forward planning is rare and scheduling meetings in advance can be difficult. I find a lot of high level execs go day to day with little planning. Where I'm from we call that flying by the seat of your pants and that seems like how a lot of business is done here.
    Ah pull the elitist rabbit out of the hat. Actually no. I work for myself and hardly have enough hours in the day as it is. If something comes through that's going to take quite a long time to comprehend then it gets put to the back of the queue, simple as that. If someone puts so little effort into communication then is it really worth reading? There is a certain irony in the OP's subject and his initial post.
    East_coast, nickvv and bookblogger like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    There is a certain irony in the OP's subject and his initial post.
    It is not just the O.P. Often it takes the third chase email for some email writers to get to the point in a succinct manner and have a clear 'call to action'. If it was important in the first place they would of articulated the importance rather than blah blah blah blah...

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    It is not just the O.P. Often it takes the third chase email for some email writers to get to the point in a succinct manner and have a clear 'call to action'. If it was important in the first place they would of articulated the importance rather than blah blah blah blah...
    Right that's fine for business emails but this was a forum post. @jaykay is just being unnecessarily rude. Yeah it wasn't grammatically correct but he did separate it into fairly coherent paragraphs. I don't think anybody on here didn't understand what he was talking about.

And I do always list out clearly a itemized list on more complex issues along with a clear deadline and who's responsible. Yet even then people can still not read certain items. Not sure if it's selective or they just didn't bother to read it. And this can happen to not just HK colleagues, but ones in the states as well. HK colleagues tend to read the whole thing, and not respond, but they most likely have read it.
    Open Casket likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jack55:
    Right that's fine for business emails but this was a forum post. @jaykay is just being unnecessarily rude.
    Really? There's being casual and being downright lazy. Yes it was grammatically incorrect and also pretty incoherent. I read through it a few times to understand it. I assume the OP wrote this after an all day session in which case I can understand. So you guys speak like this socially?
    East_coast likes this.

I guess other people are better at extracting meaning from gibberish to me.

I honestly found the original post bloody hard to read, scanned it three times, and still wondered if I'd missed some kind of hidden question.

I don't care too much about other peoples' spelling and grammar anymore. I do care that they have made some kind of minimal effort to be coherent though.

I understood his point fairly easily the first time I read it, though in fairness I do a lot of work with locals and others where English is their second language. I've become quite good at understanding emails that aren't grammatically or structurally correct by living and working here.