Like Tree105Likes

How's racial discrimination in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

From the perspective of the Eastern European, I haven't really encountered racism yet, and I live in Tuen Mun( a more affordable area). I see many Indians working In restaurants and as teachers. They are all pretty happy. It's just the way locals are that can be interpreted as racism, reserved and just minding their own business. They don't smile much and aren't over polite like in Europe either. My biggest advice is try to dress well.

Last edited by Tea addict; 05-12-2015 at 10:42 PM.
    hongkong7 and Cho-man like this.

Generally speaking, it's not racism in term of: we don't like foreigners.
    It's more of a, we look down on brown people. (Strange sense of superiority)
    This goes for a large part of the local population. Very small part of locals is ok with any race, specially if they work in a professional field or have lived abroad for some years.
    So, coming months shouldn't be too bad, just don't expect a lot of smileys in the MTR or bus. But I don't think anyone here on this forum gets that

Be nice to the locals and you'll be surprised how nice they can be back to you.

honestly, racism here is the same everywhere, nothing out of the ordinary.

Be yourself, respect others and they will respect you, well mostly. Ignore the bigots and the people that are just looking down on you for whatever reason, I'm called "gwei lo" or "gwei chai" more often times then I can count, it doesn't bother me and in fact, half my friends call me that.

I tend to be more "its how they use it" rather then what the word literal meaning.

hongkong7 and Eddy Mundo like this.

I'm not racially prejudiced. I hate all the non-English equally. No ...... wait I lied. Sweaties and frogs top the list [emoji3]

On a serious note there are some odd quirks that take getting used to. The not sitting next to the Gwai Lo still makes me laugh but that's a funny exception rather than the rule. Once you appreciate that money rules everything, locals hate mainlanders, kids are ignored in favour of playing games on mobile phones and people walk slowly and diagonally it is nothing compared to London from the 70s to the current day. TBH I've seen more racism around the Indian reservation in TST and largely between Indians than anything else. I was drinking with a U.S. HK veteran who said HK was much more dangerous for a westerner in the 80s and 90s. Anyone can validate that here ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tea addict:
    From the perspective of the Eastern European, I haven't really encountered racism yet, and I live in Tuen Mun( a more affordable area). I see many Indians working In restaurants and as teachers. They are all pretty happy. It's just the way locals are that can be interpreted as racism, reserved and just minding their own business. They don't smile much and aren't over polite like in Europe either. My biggest advice is try to dress well.
    Everyone looks down on everyone in this town. We all hate each other based on the pettiest differences.

Indians, Filipinos, africans ... also have their pecking orders by which they discriminate.. nothing new.

The biggest thing that makes a difference is to stop giving a flying f' about what people think about you and do what you want. Over time, you'll find that works better than changing yourself...

Seriously to the OP .. you're at HKU, so you're better than 99% of the locals who are judging you, in terms of education and prospects. Why should you care if the peasants look down at you. (see what I did there?)
    Last edited by shri; 07-12-2015 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EuroDash:
    Jokes apart, any suggestions how I can kinda mingle with the locals over my 7/8 month stay considering I don't stink (i use french perfumes ), don't look like a beggar and I don't stare at people for no reason (Heard some browns/blacks do that a lot in HK)...

Nice!
    I like it how you manage to sneak in some casual racism yourself.
    Last edited by Nep; 07-12-2015 at 09:15 AM.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurtmesome:
    Generally speaking, it's not racism in term of: we don't like foreigners.
    It's more of a, we look down on brown people. (Strange sense of superiority)
    This goes for a large part of the local population. Very small part of locals is ok with any race, specially if they work in a professional field or have lived abroad for some years.
    So, coming months shouldn't be too bad, just don't expect a lot of smileys in the MTR or bus. But I don't think anyone here on this forum gets that
    But the thing is I am as white as snow and I look upper class and appear normal in every way and locals always sit away from me .
    And I love it !! Room to put my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nep:
    Nice!
    I like it how you manage to sneak in some casual racism yourself.
    Haha I just realised that too. But I said I heard... I didn't imply anything

Quote Originally Posted by hongkong7:
    But the thing is I am as white as snow and I look upper class and appear normal in every way and locals always sit away from me .
    And I love it !! Room to put my stuff.
    Haha I don't think it stops with the MTR. Today, I was in the minibus first. Everyone started to fill up the seats after me except the seat next to mines. Normally, I would be happy I get to sit alone. Then this old lady gets on the bus and beeps her card, then looks for a free seat and the seat next to mines was available. She told the driver there's no seats (She was speaking in Chinese but I could understand what she was saying with her facial expression and fingers).... That is plain rude
    Last edited by EuroDash; 07-12-2015 at 12:31 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast