Landlady refuses to give me her address

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Landlady refuses to give me her address

I requested for her address the day I signed my contract and she refused (which is already 3 weeks ago). And, the agent told me it's normal in HK even though I told them I need the address to write a formal letter when I move out. But this Monday, the agent called me to provide office address or employment letter to the landlord. I asked him again for her address but he again loudly told me that she doesn't want to and it's normal.

My agent has been terrible and very irresponsible. I do not even think he has passed my message on Monday about A/C not working properly in the living room to the landlady (Landlady speaks no English, I don't speak any Canto). It's been already 4 days since I asked him to pass the message but haven't heard from any of them since then. The most update I got from calling the agent 2 days ago is that he coldn't reach her.

My basic question is...how can I get the mailing address from the landlady plus get her to send someone to check the aircon ASAP?

(After so many instances of agent and landlady not keeping their words have disappointed me to the point that I don't have any credit or trust for them..and I know this is quite bad because I still have 1 year to go).

get someone to fix the AC, keep the bills and deduct it from the rent. Tell the agent that is what your going to do as the Landlord has done nothing and you need the AC.

When you intend to move out write the letter and then ask the Agent to pass it on. dont get your knickers in a twist about the address, I have been renting for more than 10 years, never ever bothered to ask for owners address.

Last edited by wtbhotia; 23-10-2008 at 04:16 PM.

The landlord's address must be on the contract. If it isn't then I doubt that it is a valid contract and I'm surprised that the Registry would accept it.

Your agent has arranged for the lease to be properly registered and stamp duty paid haven't they?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Check the Land Registry.
    Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 23-10-2008 at 04:27 PM.

[QUOTE=wtbhotia;266601]get someone to fix the AC, keep the bills and deduct it from the rent. Tell the agent that is what your going to do as the Landlord has done nothing and you need the AC.

I think this it the best you can do.

Very strange youdon't get the address, I don't know if it's normal. Our landlord has given his address and whenever something is broken we can contact him directly or via agency. No problems at all!

Just because something is 'normal' doesn't mean that is how it is supposed to be! The contract should have both your names, with HKID number, address and telephone number. If the landlord is a company, it should have the BR number, address and contact number. Check the contract you signed, it should have all this information.

definitely withhold the rent...that'll get her attention faster than a kick in the teeth...

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I got a question regarding responsibilities of a landlord. The washroom started to leak (I believe its from the toilet, but am not sure), and we told the landlord and she refused to pay for the repairs. Is it our responsibility, the landlords or the building's management?

Thanks!

It depends on what is specified in the lease, but normally the plumbing is the responsibility of the landlord. If the water is coming from an adjacent apartment then contact the Building Management.

I just signed a lease and my agent put the landlord's address in the contract in addition to giving me a copy indicating that the landlord owns the property.

Seems like your agent is not that professional. You can escalate it to her/his manager in the same company?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast