Like Tree49Likes

Hong Kong Wildlife

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    True. The same applies for Canada and parts of Europe and Australia.

But you are assuming the animals have a relatively expansive space and habitats around the cities (allowing for prevention/reduction of animal-human conflicts) and an educated (or enlightened) populace willing to tolerate such big animals not too far from where they live.

Its arguable whether there is still the natural habitat in HK for big animals (I guess that depends on what kind of big animals we are talking about-the predators), but even if you say there is, the tolerant populace part is missing. I don't see how HK locals would be willing to tolerate big predators in the city, not for the foreseeable future anyway, sadly. I mean, if those buffalos in Lantau and New Territories, which in general don't cause any harm to people living there, is still being seen as a nuisance to be removed by local villagers and government, then I cannot see how introducing potentially dangerous animals into HK will work.

I really wish this was different to be honest. Because I would love to have big animals once more in HK, but realistically, the ingrained hostile attitudes to certain wildlife dies hard in HK.
    In Hong Kong they would be eaten & put in some soup.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    In Hong Kong they would be eaten & put in some soup.
    Hehehe. Actually it would be more correct to say they would be poached in HK then smuggled to the mainland where it is eaten.

This is the animal is wish i did not ever see: feral cats. And those who feed them i hope can educate themselves and reduce their massive ignorance regarding these vicious pests.

How difficult for me to be diplomatic in such things and treat other humans with respect when that human is so, so very ecologically criminal.

hongkong7 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jobin:
    This is the animal is wish i did not ever see: feral cats. And those who feed them i hope can educate themselves and reduce their massive ignorance regarding these vicious pests.

How difficult for me to be diplomatic in such things and treat other humans with respect when that human is so, so very ecologically criminal.
    I completely agree .feral cats and dogs are a major threat to wild life locally.
    Back home in Australia I would always put a bullet in these pests when I came across them . Saved countless native birds and marsupials as a result. Always hated the way the feral cats would kill and not even eat every single fledgling bird in the nest .
    Last edited by hongkong7; 17-12-2015 at 07:06 PM.

An expat friend of mine claims to have seen a monitor lizard (one meter long) near Shek Kong in the early 2000's. Some claim a few monitor lizards still exist in the wild, though I have my doubts. It's not like they hide very well.

Cho-man and eastside_gweilo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    I heard a barking deer in the forest at Kap Lung last week. Very loud.
    I've seen a few deer in HK. They are super shy and you need to be well off the beaten track, but seeing them does make you feel emotions about wildlife. Seems so much more to see a deer in HK than in Europe or the USA where there are large swathes of land.

Also see boars from time to time and whoever feeds the monkeys should stop it....

I spend a lot of time riding in the country parks so I see most of what I call the 'Kadoorie Park' checklist pretty regularly...I've even witnessed a python eating (swallowing?) a goat near Tai Lam Country Park.

The 'best' animal I've seen up close was a black Cobra in full aggression mode on the trail at Tai Lam Reservoir...perfect.

imparanoic likes this.

A goat?

Simply go to Google images and type in these words: snake eating goat. Then
    you may choose your goat color, black or white, and watch the snake swallow whole the goat.

Quite a few feral goats in certain areas of the NT.

How about the Yuen Long crocodile;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pui_Pui_(crocodile)

Fiona in HKG and Cho-man like this.