Like Tree49Likes

Hong Kong Wildlife

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Over the years, quite a few snakes, once an incredibly large centipede, barking deer, porcupines, wild boar, Lantau cattle.

Most recently, the barking deer in the hills of DB. They can be very close late at night and I had to assure one neighbor that there wasn't a dog stuck somewhere, in distress, just a week ago

eastside_gweilo and Cho-man like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    I saw a few snakes and a Porcupine by Bowen road.
    Shocked at how big the porcupines are . . .

Two lovely big porcupines snaffling away from us and into the bushes on a walk down from the peak one evening. It was amazing!

Do the scary feral dogs on various islands count?

eastside_gweilo and Cho-man like this.

You seem to forget that there isn't any hunting/stalking of deer here.............................

Came across those claw marks on a walk not too far from Sha Tin on the Maclehose Trail. I'm guessing a porcupine didn't see the steps next to the slope, or could it be a pangolin? Has anyone here seen a pangolin? That'd be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex:
    You seem to forget that there isn't any hunting/stalking of deer here.............................
    there is a wild pig hunting team though.

Cho-man and imparanoic like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jobin:
    This is the animal is wish i did not ever see: feral cats. And those who feed them i hope can educate themselves and reduce their massive ignorance regarding these vicious pests.

How difficult for me to be diplomatic in such things and treat other humans with respect when that human is so, so very ecologically criminal.
    Not disagreeing with your main point, but can you always be sure it is a feral cat and not a wildcat? Sometimes its not so easy to tell the difference, especially in dim conditions. The leopard cat which is native to East Asia for example is about the size of a domestic cat.

Unlike feral cats, wildcats are native to the habitat.

Lingnan University is rather locally well-known for stray cats that end up on campus from the mountains that surround it. The campus has an unequal balance of cat and humans.

imparanoic and hongkong7 like this.

A dolphin species not often see in HK waters has appeared at Gold Coast:

Rare dolphin spotted in Hong Kong’s Gold Coast marina | South China Morning Post

You can see the dolphin jump out of the water at 0:16-0:17:

Last edited by Cho-man; 29-01-2016 at 01:32 PM.