Like Tree22Likes

More women in jail than men, in HK

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    If the debts are from unpaid taxes yes, I am. Even if they don't work, then cut off all government aid, housing subsidy etc. Most will then have to find work.

I don't see the logic behind jailing people for unpaid debt.
    hongkong7 and Cho-man like this.

Just to clarify for the discussion happening here, as sometimes people aren't aware of the difference between jails and prisons. Jails are for short-term, typically for suspects and terms less than a year (though this might differ country to country), while prisons are for long-term sentences.

For the discussion, it would be more productive for people to know and use the same terms accordingly. I can see how stats could be different in jails vs prisons.

Last edited by dpmlicious; 20-12-2015 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dpmlicious:
    Just to clarify for the discussion happening here, as sometimes people aren't aware of the difference between jails and prisons. Jails are for short-term, typically for suspects and terms less than a year (though this might differ country to country), while prisons are for long-term sentences.

For the discussion, it would be more productive for people to know and use the same terms accordingly. I can see how stats could be different in jails vs prisons.
    Is this the terminology used in HK? There are separate jails and prisons?
    dpmlicious likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Is this the terminology used in HK? There are separate jails and prisons?
    Good question, Checked with a friend who studied law here just to make sure. The terms are used the same way in the legal sense. My guess is, like many people around the world, people in Hong Kong often use them interchangeably.

Yes, I believe Hong Kong does have jails, like the holding cells at police stations.

I figured it would be good to point out the difference, due to what it means to the stats and that people might be talking about different things and interpreting things differently than what was meant.

Interesting read which answers the question, thanks. Makes you think someone from SCMP is reading this site

East_coast likes this.

It's sad so many of the foreign female sex workers are in prison when the triad "pimps" and male customers should be the ones doing the time. Most of the women are victims of circumstance and have little choice.

hullexile, jrkob and Cho-man like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    It's sad so many of the foreign female sex workers are in prison when the triad "pimps" and male customers should be the ones doing the time. Most of the women are victims of circumstance and have little choice.
    You only have to look at the curtain bars in Wan Chai to know how protected the ones running it are. Everyone knows they are brothels, everyone knows the girls there on entertainer visas are not entertainers, well at least not in the way intended by the visa, and most people know they are victims of trafficking. Nothing is done though.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    I don't see the logic behind jailing people for unpaid debt.
    Probably because no such laws exist in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    You only have to look at the curtain bars in Wan Chai to know how protected the ones running it are. Everyone knows they are brothels, everyone knows the girls there on entertainer visas are not entertainers, well at least not in the way intended by the visa, and most people know they are victims of trafficking. Nothing is done though.
    That is likely due to a sort of cozy arrangement between the police and the triads that run some of the Wan Chai bars. So long as the Wan Chai hookers don't step out of their "designated" zones, the police will look the other way (i.e so long as they don't "rock the boat", everyone is "happy"). I mean, some of these bars really aren't that far from the police hq at Admiralty, there is no way the police don't have a clue to what's actually going on inside them.

However, the same "arrangement" likely don't apply to other more seedy areas. Places like Shum Shui Po and parts of Mongkok are notorious for having brothel joints. Hence the arrest and imprisonment of the hookers there. Why the different treatment from Wan Chai?

A variety of reasons. Different clients. Different triad groups. And also where these hookers are from.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    That is likely due to a sort of cozy arrangement between the police and the triads that run some of the Wan Chai bars. So long as the Wan Chai hookers don't step out of their "designated" zones, the police will look the other way (i.e so long as they don't "rock the boat", everyone is "happy"). I mean, some of these bars really aren't that far from the police hq at Admiralty, there is no way the police don't have a clue to what's actually going on inside them.

However, the same "arrangement" likely don't apply to other more seedy areas. Places like Shum Shui Po and parts of Mongkok are notorious for having brothel joints. Hence the arrest and imprisonment of the hookers there. Why the different treatment from Wan Chai?

A variety of reasons. Different clients. Different triad groups. And also where these hookers are from.
    There is actually a large police station in Wan Chai on Lockhart Road. Obviously the police know and obviously there is an arrangement (political or financial) to ignore it. Meanwhile the politicians stress how serious they are at combating human trafficking. Perhaps the girls in the curtain bars are not considered human?
    Cho-man likes this.