URGENT!!! Notary Services in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Does anyone know a HK notary public that will simply notarize my documents without a "review for any legal issues"?

My attempts on Friday to find a friendly notary public who did not want to do this completely unnecessary step on my documents failed. They all say review first.

I am totally angered with the predicament this normally astute large Canadian organization has put me in after promising me that all legal costs were borne by them and that they'd send these documents to a HK lawyer which would ensure that the lawyer was acting for their side and not for me. I'd just have to sign an acknowledgment of that and we'd sign the documents and I'd be out of there in 15 minutes. No big deal. Routine stuff.

The people in Canada don't understand that whatever HK lawyer/notary I end up with now has to represent MY interests and owe me due diligence (and I can't waive that of course)o they will need to conduct their legal review at who knows what cost not to mention I get to pay fees and disbursements. For some reason when I say Canadian documents the HK notaries say legal review.

Why can't a notary just notarize for me???
    I do not need legal reviews, legal counsel - just them to do their job. Identify me and notarize all the stuff.

The absolute irony is that the Canadian outfit has names I can see from my balcony on the tops of HK Island buildings but yet they couldn't route this stuff through them? This might have given a local notary a comfort level that this is okay with them and that if I need a lawyer, I'd be getting one but I didn't and won't.

Here is my best offer so far from my firm's accounting firm ---.

Leave them the documents for their review to see if there any legal issues and then they might notarize them or not. As this is not my company business but involving a large sum of money with an insurer they aren't just going to do this without that review. I will meet them on Monday (kaching kaching on the meter) if I can't get a better deal.

Any one know a notary that will just notarize and do it without getting involved in my business and billing the crap out of me as they see large dollar signs?

If this didn't involve keeping my wife happy this firm would be losing this business despite a good deal. She is siding with them and doesn't see how I can now be taken to the cleaners as any reputable law firm will now have to do research etc and I will get a large legal bill especially when they see the large numbers of dollars involved.

If the documents are for use in Canada, why not get them notarized by Canadian Consulate.?
    Most Consulates have notary service.

Thanks both of you for that very good advice!

I looked at the HK Canadian Consul site and didn't see notarial services there but was aware that the US Consulate provides that service to their citizens.

The good Canadian government doesn't come cheap but it is better than a lawyer having to assess these docs for legal issues first meaning a huge bill on top of the notary work.

I need 5 signatures and two seals which are HK$390 per as I read it making this HK$2730 for 5 minutes worth of work. Better than a legal review but none the less I got screwed in this deal.

The Vancouver side of this 'no-cost-to-us' legal will be about $2000HK for the Vancouver lawyers to send and receive this to HK.

I guess I just get to complain to the insurer who is HQ'd in Canada with a letter to their CEO for my $4730 as the "oral" - they aren't answering emails now commitment is try and get my money back.

Last edited by Football16; 11-05-2008 at 09:39 AM.

Thanks again for letting me know that the Canadian Consulate in HK does do notary work and they did the whole thing for $390HK which amazed me given it was 5 signatures and 2 stamps.

And they didn't need to read the documents to do it or send it to a lawyer for review of the issues.