Like Tree161Likes

Giving "red packets" to rude security staff

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    No one feels offended taking Lai See. If they are married, they will politely tell you they are married, and you just tell them it is for service not for their marital status.
    I have met people - even streetsleepers - who are DEEPLY offended at being offered lai see by strangers. I also think you overestimate the language skills of both the proud, working class elderly and many expats ...

Certainly for many people of a Certain Age, lai see is about face much more than about money. This is definitely the case for many (not all) of the working elderly. You'll find many of them share poky little rooms but have not even applied for public housing because "that's for poor people."

So ... if you want to give lai see to a working elderly person without hurting their pride, give them a stack more work to do with it, like another big box of whatever they collect.

If you've actually got to know them a bit, and exchanged pleasantries, then "This is for your grandkids' education" is a good line. But they'll still probably refuse a couple of times, just to be polite!
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dashwood:
    Karma doesn't exist.

I don't expect Christmas cards or presents from Chinese people....
    Yes because you are in China where Xmas is not a big deal but Chinese New Year is....You live in China, not they live in the UK...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dashwood:
    It's blatantly about money. Every year the security in our building erect a big tree in the foyer made out of red packets...

Absolute face-ache security guards who've looked like doom all year suddenly manage crooked smiles.

Our building management has intervened these last years...any red packets must be put in a communal box and I agree with this system...(assuming it's shared equally)...
    and they don't put a Xmas tree at Xmas?
    In mine they do both - I suspect in yours too.

btw you have a funny way of being out of the thread....
    Last edited by Mat; 01-02-2016 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Yes because you are in China where Xmas is not a big deal but Chinese New Year is....You live in China, not they live in the UK...
    Aiyaah....sorry, I meant Chinese people in the UK. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    and they don't put a Xmas tree at Xmas?
    In mine they do both - I suspect in yours too.

btw you have a funny way of being out of the thread....
    Please see above...I meant Chinese people in the UK.

Also, I didn't mean me out of the thread mat...I was describing YOUR M.O.

I edited the post, go back and look!

I'm posting in little snapshots of time between classes...

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    Where can I meet this Karma, sounds like fun....
    She wouldn't like you, your tips aren't in the right league.
    Mat likes this.

I just think there are a couple of trolls here trying to stir sh1t up. Also, I don't give lai see to random people (ie street sleepers).

Mat likes this.

I fail to see how giving out lai see equates to customer service. Wouldnt it make more sense to highlight to management about poor service rather than waiting till CNY. Also no one is forcing you to hand over your hard earned money.

I don't give lai see to random people (ie street sleepers).
    Is that a Freudian slip

I just think there are a couple of trolls here trying to stir sh1t up. Also, I don't give lai see to random people (ie street sleepers).
    I'm curious who you think the trolls are. Are they the people who have opinions that are different to yours?

My wife just had a look at this thread and made an interesting point...she reckons the 'guard' who is the grumpiest f*cker in our building is the head and that he spends most mornings bollocking the others, I'm not there during the day...she reckons the really friendly one, the one who always waves at our kids and lets them pretend they're shooting him is also a lazy bastard.

So that's a point...security guards are there to keep the building safe and in good order...make sure you're not paying someone just for smiling!

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast