Citizenship Question – HKer with Australian Citizenship marrying a British Person

Closed Thread

Smile Citizenship Question – HKer with Australian Citizenship marrying a British Person

There must be someone out there who has been through this! Would be great if I could get some advice on our situation.

I am about to marry a British person. I'm given to understand that with 3 years residency in the UK, I am eligible for UK citizenship. Does that mean I must choose between HK OR Australian citizenship once I get UK citizenship (ie the dual citizenship status)? Or could I keep both AND be a UK citizen (ie have 3 nationalities)? Do I just not declare the new citizenship to other countries and leave it at that?

Also, my partner and I are considering where to register the marriage. I'm not sure about the pros and cons of each country. We were thinking of just registering in the UK since it is likely that we will live there in the long term. But if we later move back to HK or move to Australia, does our UK registered marriage apply in these countries?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

If you marry a British person, are accepted for a settlement visa (this is not as given), then yes after 3 years you can apply for British Citizenship. You will not have to give up any other citizenship. Note: remember that HK is not a citizenship.

Where you marry is of no importance. Your marriage is recognised pretty much anywhere you travel in the world. You don't suddenly become un-married when you travel to other countries!

What jaykay said.

Remember that your spouse will have to sponsor you for the visa before you go to the UK by showing evidence of suitable accommodation + income.

You can no longer switch from a tourist visa to any other kind of visa, unlike in HK. Supposed to prevent forced marriages (my a*se).

Thanks to everyone for your responses. You've been very helpful.

I didn't know about the spouse sponsored visa requirement.

So if we want to register marriage in the UK, I would have to enter the UK on a visa sponsored by my spouse? Can't I enter as a tourist and just get married there? Which UK govt body's website should I go to to get more info?

Would it just be easier if we registered marriage in HK and the just enter the UK as a married couple? I guess that just means I have to settle there for 3 years and not go through the spouse sponsorship thing, or am I mistaken?

Or in other words, based on what jayjay and sigga said, a settlement visa = spouse sponsored visa?

I guess what we want to know is where is it easiest to register the marriage so that I could live and work in the UK with my partner.

Wherever you get married you will still have to apply for a settlement visa. You cannot just arrive in the UK and live there with your husband.

Probably easiest to get married in HK and apply from here. Once the visa has been granted you can go back with your husband to live. Further details on the settlement visa can be found here: Husbands, wives and partners (INF 4)

Thanks-you jaykay. I'm just checking out your link now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rolls:
    Or in other words, based on what jayjay and sigga said, a settlement visa = spouse sponsored visa?

I guess what we want to know is where is it easiest to register the marriage so that I could live and work in the UK with my partner.
    I can think of way more factors on choice of wedding venue than this .. like where to you WANT to get married, where are your friends and family etc etc? It is NOT HARD to leave the UK and reenter (physically, I mean) - a daytrip to France is no harder than a trip to Macau from here - so I would not take the comment that you cannot change visa once you enter to be a high barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    a daytrip to France is no harder than a trip to Macau from here
    That's a rather London-centric view... I'm not sure I'd fancy a day-trip to France from, say, Stirling.

But where your friends are doesn't really affect where you get married. It might affect where you go through some sort of public ceremony and party, but the actual paperwork can be done anywhere.

Personally I would recommend doing the paperwork in Hong Kong - it couldn't be any easier than it is here.
    Last edited by PDLM; 30-10-2008 at 06:05 PM.