Like Tree51Likes

Air pollution is killing me

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Right, forgot about the babies (rats are mammals, offspring sucks on mommy and gets whatever she gets).

I works at the airport for 3 years now, lives in Tsing Yi but I'm not bothered by the air pollution . Lives in HK for the last 27 years, I had annual check up last September and I'm in good health.......

Quote Originally Posted by joanfung:
    I works at the airport for 3 years now, lives in Tsing Yi but I'm not bothered by the air pollution . Lives in HK for the last 27 years, I had annual check up last September and I'm in good health.......
    Best I can figure out, the air quality in Hong Kong only started getting bad about 15 years ago. Or was it this bad in the 1990's too?
    joanfung likes this.

Been here since '93. You're right - problem has become more severe in the last 10-15 years.

Fiona in HKG and Open Casket like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Been here since '93. You're right - problem has become more severe in the last 10-15 years.
    Much worse now than in the 1990s. I was away from Hong Kong from 1999-2012. I have no rosy memories about the air being perfect back in the day (it wasn't) and by being away I missed out on the frog boiled slowly effect. So I'm pretty sure my impression is correct.
    Open Casket likes this.

- cut down road traffic
    - more EVs
    - against scheme that encourage elder people to make the traffic pollution and congestion worser

Last edited by Vrindavan; 23-02-2016 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    Buy two IQAir units and call it a day.
    Or make a proven working unit by yourself for about HKD250...
    Smart Air China
    Vrindavan and 100LL like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdollars:
    Invest in good air purifiers for your home/office/car etc... the smog is here to stay I'm afraid!
    Yes, strap some Hepa filters to a cheap fan and put them everywhere like some enterprising Shanghai folk
    have done. They sell them too.

But if you exercise outside, run, cycle, etc. you are doubly screwed. Masks are a pain and
    make it tough to breathe at the rate needed for hard exercise. And the amount of of (bad) air
    sucked in while exercising makes it much worse.

Today though is not that bad IMO. Rated 2 on the scale. When it gets to 6-8 on the HK 1-10 scale
    I come back from a ride sick sometimes. Kind of makes the whole exercise thing a moot point.

And it will be a long time before both HK and Beijing clean up their respective acts. I can remember when
    pollution was pretty bad in certain cities in the U.S. (LA, any of the Steel towns). It took decades to fix that.
    The mainland is making a few feeble attempts at it, and as far as I can see HK is not doing very much. Until
    they can figure out a way to bid it out to a well-connected company.....
    shri and Open Casket like this.

Geoengineering in China ?

Quote Originally Posted by Vrindavan:
    Geoengineering in China ?
    Heavenly choirs of Hello Kitties singing 8-part fugues about geo-engineering in China perhaps. Also Unicorns in stilettos.