Like Tree57Likes

Why do people live in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by chris_yang22:
    it's a hell of a lot safer than an 85 year old driving down the 405.

by the way, has your kid won an Oscar yet?
    While why don't you move back to Hong Kong? It must be difficult dodging all those bullets in the USA right?

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    While why don't you move back to Hong Kong? It must be difficult dodging all those bullets in the USA right?
    It's too expensive to raise a kid there, and too far to help take care of the family that we have here in California. If we had the capital, I'd buy a flat there but we just don't have that kind of money.
    Last edited by chris_yang22; 13-03-2016 at 02:56 PM.
    East_coast likes this.

I think Hong Kong is a fantastic place to come for a few years, earn some decent $$ and then move on. Longer term, especially with children, I'm not so sure. The very long term outlook is looking more and more bleak, especially considering recent events.

MandM! and keieich like this.

Quote Originally Posted by j77892:
    No good jobs in Vancouver.
    In order to have an average life in Vancouver; your dad/mom better be rich to support you, or own a business back in Asia for you to "help" out with. Or else, your pretty much screwed working in a local Starbucks trying to make ends meet because of the high rent there.

Quote Originally Posted by 7jai:
    In order to have an average life in Vancouver; your dad/mom better be rich to support you, or own a business back in Asia for you to "help" out with. Or else, your pretty much screwed working in a local Starbucks trying to make ends meet because of the high rent there.
    Not to mention the endless rain....better off moving to southern cal imo.
    Skyhook and 7jai like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    He can't even spell his name correctly, yet he's using him as proof the food is good. You can't make this stuff up...
    one interesting fact - only british people can pronounce his name properly. americans can't

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    That first sentence made me laugh.

Edit, sorry second sentence!
    can't even count...

That's why there are many people who live here for decades and know absolutely nothing about the local language/culture. They only come here for the money. FILTH (Failed In London or whatever western country, Try Hongkong) kind of comes into my mind. They failed to find a job at home that is as good as the one they have in HK, that's why they are here.

Last edited by kungpaochicken; 14-03-2016 at 05:17 PM.
    itsdawn likes this.

You sure sound like a nice guy!

I love this city. My kids love it too.
    Everything is close. The food is great. People are friendly if you are not an ass. You are close to many great holiday destinations.

Quote Originally Posted by kungpaochicken:
    That's why there are many people who live here for decades and know absolutely nothing about the local language/culture. They only come here for the money (or/and women). FILTH kind of comes into my mind. They failed to find a job at home that is as good as the one they have in HK, that's why they are here.
    IMO it's not easy to learn the local language - especially when you are working full-time and the language you are trying to learn is one of the more difficult ones to learn in the world. It's basically pure memorization - and it takes time to memorize. Even kids who were born and raised in HK have difficulties understanding some complex Chinese terms.

And with regards to the "women" comment; you can't blame the expats for that. All women have a choice on who they want to be with, and if the expats won their hearts, they did it fair and square. Instead, we should focus on why the women choose those guys over the locals.... that's a more productive way to approach this problem lol.

But yes, I agree, it's all about the moonneeyyyyyy $$$. Heck, that's why people move to Dubai as well - there are zero taxes! But the lifestyle there is the complete opposite of HK (can't drink in public, women can't be out a certain time without a companion, can't bring back women to your home unless you two are married, etc....)