Like Tree57Likes

Why do people live in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Why do people live in Hong Kong?

Just a random late night thought for me...

I always wondered what the reasons are for people to want to live in Hong Kong for long term? There are so many great cities in the world that offer much better standard of living; but it still seems like HK is always the top of everyone's list.

For me, it's mainly because of the low taxes (so I could theoretically save more), and also I actually like the "busyness" and closeness of everything in the city. For example; in Canada, regardless of what city you are in, it always feels kinda empty and lonely when you are just walking down the street - and everything requires a car to get around.

Is there any other key reasons? I mean, I doubt a key reason is because people love living in small flats....lol

Do you think HK will continue to be highly populated in the next few decades?

Convenience, transportation, food, beaches, hiking, safety, more disposable income to spend. The tax benefit is a plus, I don't really care either way but who won't take less ya know.

Where else has this?

chris_yang22 likes this.

Low taxation, great food, fast paced and sunny weather most of the year. However planning to leave HK in a few years as we dont want our oldest daughter to goto local primary school. Good International schools are insanely expensive, 10k per month!

Forgot to say its low crime and safe in HK, as long as you avoid dodgy areas.

Last edited by WMDS; 12-03-2016 at 07:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS:
    Low taxation, great food, fast paced and sunny weather most of the year. However planning to leave HK in a few years as we dont want our oldest daughter to goto local primary school. Good International schools are insanely expensive, 10k per month!

Forgot to say its low crime and safe in HK, as long as you avoid dodgy areas.

What dodgy areas?
    There aren't any dodgy areas of HK!

Obviously the low tax, but:
    Hk has given me a financial education, a political education and a life education I couldn't have foreseen. It's damn crowded, there's a lot to moan about, but it keeps me on my toes. I thought it was all about job and dim sum, but got a lot more.
    And, less romantically, you just can't get much done in a day in a sprawling city. So much more productive in HK.

shri, Kinch, itsdawn and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    What dodgy areas?
    There aren't any dodgy areas of HK!
    There is one VERY dodgy area.

Legco
    Mrs. Jones and jgl like this.

Every place has advantages and disadvantages, hk has low direct taxes, but high indirect taxes

chris_yang22 likes this.

There are many reasons why expats from developed countries and Overseas Hongkongers choosing to live in Hong Kong instead of in western and other Asian countries.

I don't think there are many great cities in the world that offer much better standard of living. May not be the best in the world, but many people around the world agree HK is the best city in Asia.

HK is not particularly crowded if you compared with Tokyo, Osaka, Seoul, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Singapore, or NYC and London. And if you look at the maps of their subway systems, they are much more complicated than HK's MTR.

No, I am not here for the low taxes. The expensive housing is a con. If you have a house already or have affordable housing, the burden is much less for most people.

And think of the culture of Hong Kong. May be bad or good.

Quote Originally Posted by 7jai:
    I always wondered what the reasons are for people to want to live in Hong Kong for long term? There are so many great cities in the world that offer much better standard of living; but it still seems like HK is always the top of everyone's list.

For me, it's mainly because of the low taxes (so I could theoretically save more), and also I actually like the "busyness" and closeness of everything in the city. For example; in Canada, regardless of what city you are in, it always feels kinda empty and lonely when you are just walking down the street - and everything requires a car to get around.

Is there any other key reasons? I mean, I doubt a key reason is because people love living in small flats....lol

Do you think HK will continue to be highly populated in the next few decades?
    Last edited by nicwzviva; 12-03-2016 at 12:36 PM.
    Tea addict and chris_yang22 like this.

I would also add lack of political correctness and less nanny state intrusion into our daily lives. I'm very big on being able to call a spade a spade when the spirit moves me to.

Eddy Mundo, Cwbguy and mobtrio like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinch:
    I would also add lack of political correctness and less nanny state intrusion into our daily lives. I'm very big on being able to call a spade a spade when the spirit moves me to.
    yeah we don't have to deal with social justice warriors (yet) here

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast