Like Tree29Likes

Where is the dullest place you have ever lived?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thumbs up

Basingstoke. Might be worse than DB
    I have to agree with "Bored people are boring"
    I cannot ever agree that Hong Kong could EVER be boring. Lived here 40 years so I am sure. I learn something new every day. Best place ever but I do live in the NT.

Other than work and a reservation at whatever restaurant is serving the cuisine of the month, what do Hong Kong locals do in their spare time? Trawl the mini malls in Mong Kok? Hike HK's nature trails? Watch Korean dramas? Work out? The nightlife here gets pretty predictable after a few years and out of the question once you have family.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    Other than work and a reservation at whatever restaurant is serving the cuisine of the month, what do Hong Kong locals do in their spare time? Trawl the mini malls in Mong Kok? Hike HK's nature trails? Watch Korean dramas? Work out? The nightlife here gets pretty predictable after a few years and out of the question once you have family.
    What do the rest of the world do?
    Plenty doesn't have anything to eat, plenty doesn't have enough to have any entertainment, plenty doesn't have access to a mall.

Btw, I have a family and we still go out at night (yes even to club) so don't quite understand your last part.

Granted tho, HK doesn't have much to offer when it comes to international cultural events. For the rest I can see plenty of Americans watching TV, getting to the nearby drugstore to shop, fuel up at Taco Bell etc etc. how's that different (I used the US, I could have used any other western nation) from what you described above abt HK?

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    What do the rest of the world do?
    Plenty doesn't have anything to eat, plenty doesn't have enough to have any entertainment, plenty doesn't have access to a mall.

Btw, I have a family and we still go out at night (yes even to club) so don't quite understand your last part.

Granted tho, HK doesn't have much to offer when it comes to international cultural events. For the rest I can see plenty of Americans watching TV, getting to the nearby drugstore to shop, fuel up at Taco Bell etc etc. how's that different (I used the US, I could have used any other western nation) from what you described above abt HK?

Sent from my iPad using GeoClicks
    Hong Kong severely cramped my lifestyle when I first arrived, although I have tried my level best to be located in an area that is as spacious and as accessible to sea/nature as I could possibly manage, so I make do out here here in Sai Kung.

In another life....
    I used to visit all manner of live entertainment that was on offer back home in Melbourne, from pleasant climatic LEGAL outdoor botanical garden cinemas, to grape grazing day in the Yarra Valley, The Tesselaar Tulip Festival in Silvan, The Moomba Parade and water skiing events, Candles by candlelight at the Myer Music Bowl, The Royal Melbourne Show, International Tennis, Cricket, Equestrian, Rugby, Footall and motorsport events, visiting antique shops and eating pies in The Dandenongs, The Melbourne Cup Carnival, Oakes Day, AFL grand final day, feeding possums at the parks, plus canoeing in the Yarra River for a cuppa at the Studley Park Boathouse, watching music industry up and coming bands play at the Esplanade Hotel in St Kilda.... Man, just too many things to list and that's on top of being spoilt for diverse ranges of world class F & B offerings. We were rarely home, always out and about on the weekends unless it was pissing down raining..

All of the the above can be enjoyed by somebody who earns a cafe waiters income too. My benchmark (yardstick ) of how entertaining and accessible a city is to its lower income tier young people. And for that, Hong Kong has no game, it fails dismally when compared to places like Tokyo, never mind youthful cosmopolitan cities like, SoCal ( USA ) Melbourne, Paris etc etc

Nope, Hong Kong severely cramped my lifestyle and if you aren't interested in ' drunkin' networking in bars or cliquey hiking groups and the like etc it kinda resembles a bit of living a ground hog day existence, worse if you have children. Lucky for us we can take our kids abroad to experience much more interesting activities, which we do as often as possible.. Will be going to the Cannes film festival in May with the kids, which will be an awesome couple of weeks.

Hong Kong doesnt seem to give much of a fuck about the young or the old, hence why there is less on offer, and when it is offered, it's usually spoilt by the hoards. sigh

Anyway, @Mat, you have made it clear that you loath being European, that's o.k, I get that, even if it is a bit of a unique HK expat trait, being a HK apologist, you aren't alone in that sphere.... but, be honest when you make comparisons with other peoples experiences, who might have come from cities that offered a MUCH wider range of leisure choices made accessible to the ' average ' person ie blue collar, white collar, rich, poor, young and old....

Hong Kong is what it is. Compared to other parts of Asia, then sure, HK is easy to cope with, but lets not get too carried away.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 16-03-2016 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Anyway, @Mat, you have made it clear that you loath being European, that's o.k, I get that, even if it is a bit of a unique HK expat trait, being a HK apologist, you aren't alone in that sphere.... but, be honest when you make comparisons with other peoples experiences, who might have come from cities that offered a MUCH wider range of leisure choices made accessible to the ' average ' person ie blue collar, white collar, rich, poor, young and old....
    If you try the personal attack, try better. I am as European as you can get being half french half German, having lived in both countries, travelled in Europe extensively and resided for long periods of time in the UK.
    But nice try.

All I said above is that in many western societies your average joe, watches TV, eat at a small restaurant once in a while, get to go camping or sthg etcetc...but end of the day that's not very much different from what the average local here would do.

I did say though that HK was severaly lacking (international) culture. But again you probably read too fast to go quickly to the personal attacks.

Btw, as if the average Joe as the $ to bring their kids to the Cannes Film Festival...

If you try the personal attack, try better. I am as European as you can get being half french half German, having lived in both countries, travelled in Europe extensively and resided for long periods of time in the UK.
    But nice try.

All I said above is that in many western societies your average joe, watches TV, eat at a small restaurant once in a while, get to go camping or sthg etcetc...but end of the day that's not very much different from what the average local here would do.

I did say though that HK was severaly lacking (international) culture. But again you probably read too fast to go quickly to the personal attacks.

Btw, as if the average Joe as the $ to bring their kids to the Cannes Film Festival...
    Umm you admitted the other day that you loathed being European, you saying you didnt say that ?

I wasn't having a personal attack at you at all, but anyway...

Keep on truckin !

Hong Kong severely cramped my lifestyle when I first arrived, although I have tried my level best to be located in an area that is as spacious and as accessible to sea/nature as I could possibly manage, so I make do out here here in Sai Kung.

In another life....
    I used to visit all manner of live entertainment that was on offer back home in Melbourne, from pleasant climatic LEGAL outdoor botanical garden cinemas, to grape grazing day in the Yarra Valley, The Tesselaar Tulip Festival in Silvan, The Moomba Parade and water skiing events, Candles by candlelight at the Myer Music Bowl, The Royal Melbourne Show, International Tennis, Cricket, Equestrian, Rugby, Footall and motorsport events, visiting antique shops and eating pies in The Dandenongs, The Melbourne Cup Carnival, Oakes Day, AFL grand final day, feeding possums at the parks, plus canoeing in the Yarra River for a cuppa at the Studley Park Boathouse, watching music industry up and coming bands play at the Esplanade Hotel in St Kilda.... Man, just too many things to list and that's on top of being spoilt for diverse ranges of world class F & B offerings. We were rarely home, always out and about on the weekends unless it was pissing down raining..

All of the the above can be enjoyed by somebody who earns a cafe waiters income too. My benchmark (yardstick ) of how entertaining and accessible a city is to its lower income tier young people. And for that, Hong Kong has no game, it fails dismally when compared to places like Tokyo, never mind youthful cosmopolitan cities like, SoCal ( USA ) Melbourne, Paris etc etc

Nope, Hong Kong severely cramped my lifestyle and if you aren't interested in ' drunkin' networking in bars or cliquey hiking groups and the like etc it kinda resembles a bit of living a ground hog day existence, worse if you have children. Lucky for us we can take our kids abroad to experience much more interesting activities, which we do as often as possible.. Will be going to the Cannes film festival in May with the kids, which will be an awesome couple of weeks.

Hong Kong doesnt seem to give much of a fuck about the young or the old, hence why there is less on offer, and when it is offered, it's usually spoilt by the hoards. sigh

Hong Kong is what it is. Compared to other parts of Asia, then sure, HK is easy to cope with, but lets not get too carried away.
    First world problems...many people in HK struggle to make ends meet. They probably work 12 hours a day and earn barely above 10K. Yes their lives are very dull, but what choice do they have?

Consider yourself very lucky to have been born elsewhere, and show some empathy towards the locals.

One aspect of Hong Kong I do appreciate is the private schools. I couldn't have lived in Hong Kong during my 20's or even young 30s, I would have gone insane. I did NYC during that time, and was out and about almost every evening. Now that I'm older, I don't mind engaging in my kids school activities and traveling to fun places in SE Asia.

If I had to live in Hong Kong, I would recommend doing it in your late 30's...and when you are just starting a young family. Kindergarten and Primary schools are good and I think a few years of breathing this air won't do too much harm. I would caution against moving here when you are very young (too boring) and I would caution against spending too much time here, as the air will take its toll long term and the secondary schools offer very little in terms of social/athletics. Use Hong Kong for it's strengths, make a lot of money, start a family and travel. But then get out....

rickyross likes this.

Umm you admitted the other day that you loathed being European, you saying you didnt say that ?

I wasn't having a personal attack at you at all, but anyway...

Keep on truckin !
    I said "I am seldom proud to be European" (which is very far from loathing being European, even you can understand that (I think)) and in the context of the US amercian election circus......To sum it up, I am not someone who feels the need to say I am from here or there in general. I take any places in the world I go to and try to make it work. I don't need to refer constantly to my Euro background or my past etc etc...but if you consider this loathing...be my guest. Btw as I recall you didnt arrive in Sai Kung at first but near Tuen Mun if i recall well.

Try harder next time Skyhook, have a good time in Cannes, it's a great part of France.

.. Btw as I recall you didnt arrive in Sai Kung at first but near Tuen Mun if i recall well.

Try harder next time Skyhook, have a good time in Cannes, it's a great part of France.
    Umm when I first moved here I lived in Tat Chee ave Yau Yat Chuen, a short walk from Festival Walk/Kowloon Tong MTR. then to Sai Kung, Yuen Long (for immediate family reasons) and Siu Lam (Tuen Mun) for maybe 30% of my time in Hong Kong. Sai Kung being the area we have lived the longest amount of time.

O.K @Mat, not being proud, maybe the use of loath was a little strong choice of wording on my part. fair enough. And yes Cannes is a very nice part of the world, as is Nice & Monaco a short drive away.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 16-03-2016 at 11:33 AM.
    Mat likes this.