Like Tree27Likes

Is Hong Kong more similar to New York or London?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Is Hong Kong more similar to New York or London?

Some might assume Hong Kong is more similar to London, because the city is a former British colony. I think Hong Kong actually reminds me of Manhattan in New York. New York is famous for its skyline. Hong Kong has a pretty high skyline as well. The way people respond to certain situations are similar in both cities. People seems to be always in a hurry in both cities. When you bump into someone in New York, you might be called an asshole. When you are not walking quick enough in Hong Kong, people would have a go at you. London is not as busy as Hong Kong and New York. British always use words like thank you, excuse me and sorry as punctuation.

Is there anyone who spent a considerable amount of time in these three cities? Have you guys got any thoughts?

I grew up in New York City and let me tell you that Hong Kong is a hundred times cleaner, safer, more convenient and cheaper than NYC. Rents here are very expensive but on par with any major metropolitan city and as a solution you can move out to N.T. and still be within 30-40 minutes of Hong Kong Island while keeping rents reasonable. If you move out to Brooklyn, Queens or Long Island and commute to Manhattan it'll take you an hour or more.

That being said, I don't really like New York or Hong Kong as much as I thought I would. I'm definitely going to retire somewhere else like California.

Last edited by rickyross; 19-03-2016 at 01:02 PM. Reason: thx jimbo

Quote Originally Posted by rickyross:
    I grew up in New York City and let me tell you that Hong Kong is a hundred times cleaner, safer, more convenient and cheaper than Hong Kong.
    Huh????
    rickyross likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Huh????
    Hong Kong is so efficient, it just keeps outdoing itself!

Original Post Deleted
    Combining this thread and the one in derogatory terms for HKers, I have heard them referred to as turtles because they walk so slow.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Combining this thread and the one in derogatory terms for HKers, I have heard them referred to as turtles because they walk so slow.
    turtles swim

Quote Originally Posted by wreckitralph:
    turtles swim
    Yes they do. They also walk. Even the ones who spend most of their time in water lay their eggs on land.

Having lived in Hong Kong and NYC I can say they are completely different. They are both global financial centers but that is where the similarities pretty much end.

New York is way more diverse. It is a true melting pot with people from all over the world. Yes, NYC is a financial hub, but it is way more then that. You are just as likely to sit next to a movie star, ahthlete, poet, artist of media mogul as you are a banker. NYC is a world class cultural and multi-media hub.

hullexile, Mrs. Jones and biffski like this.

I could also add that the food is way better in NYC. There are hundreds of places that serve authentic food cooked by immigrant families who take a ridiculous amount of pride in their food. From Jewish delis to soul kitchens to diners ....its far different from Hong Kong.

Mrs. Jones, Skyhook and biffski like this.

I think HK is not similar to the other two.

Just because our city is an Asian city, not Western. Location, cultures and languages. We are mainly Asian, not overly western.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast