Like Tree16Likes

HKU Phd stipend--can I live and save $$ on 11.5k/mth?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by hgcsc:
    Eat at campus canteens and cheaper local eating places( at least 2 dozens such eateries), including late night eating and HK style desserts near HKU Main Campus. Goto cheap supermarkets and wet markets. You are lucky, if you goto some other universities, there is nothing else to eat nearby except the campus canteens. But if you stay at the halls at Sasson Road or beyond, there are also no shopping and eating.

It is cheaper to eat out at cheap places than to cook yourself in HK. Common rice and noodles meals in HK are much cheaper than in Western developed countries.
    thanks. i am from singapore, not a westerner, but an easterner.

i have also been offered a place in a singaporean university, so it is a little hard to decide. i understand how some girls feel like when they are faced with two equally good handbags/men now.

yeah my main concern is whether i will be able to save money because 4 years is a long time to be not saving anything. if i can save 3k hkd a month, i can ease my conscience a little by telling myself that my peers are just maybe 300k-400k ahead of me, and i can somehow make up for the loss by having one less kid or by gaining satisfaction from completing my phd.

if i can't save any money, i will be losing out by maybe 600k hkd in terms of savings. it gets harder to console myself that my time spent on the phd will be worth it. i also worry about retirement since i will be in my mid 30s by then. although, of course, intellectually, i am looking forward to scale the 'highest' academic peak.
    Last edited by phded; 02-04-2016 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phded:
    thanks. i am from singapore, not a westerner, but an easterner.

i have also been offered a place in a singaporean university, so it is a little hard to decide. i understand how some girls feel like when they are faced with two equally good handbags/men now.

yeah my main concern is whether i will be able to save money because 4 years is a long time to be not saving anything. if i can save 3k hkd a month, i can ease my conscience a little by telling myself that my peers are just maybe 300k-400k ahead of me, and i can somehow make up for the loss by having one less kid or by gaining satisfaction from completing my phd.

if i can't save any money, i will be losing out by maybe 600k hkd in terms of savings. it gets harder to console myself that my time spent on the phd will be worth it. i also worry about retirement since i will be in my mid 30s by then. although, of course, intellectually, i am looking forward to scale the 'highest' academic peak.
    Why are you doing a PhD?

Last edited by phded; 02-04-2016 at 02:14 PM.

intellectually, i am looking forward to scale the 'highest' academic peak.

Don't save.mspend it all on food, preferably nuts, figs, fruits

If you already have to raise kid then it is hard. It is hard but not "impossible". Not just for men, I witness many female have to take care of their newborn baby yet at the same time doing their phd when they were in the program, intensive research workload, TA/RA duty, admin duty...etc.

I don't know which subject you are undertaking. But one principle is universal to most phd, that is, if you want to earn a lot and be a big bug, go to industry; if you want to go back to academia after graduation and enjoy the reputation at school plus free working mode in university then do your phd. Otherwise you will be painful/discouraged when you see many peers earn a lot already. Phd is a very persistent and patient process especially you need to face the possibility of program extension to 5 years, the change of thesis topic, plus pressure of publication in some department.

My suggestion is, you can talk with your colleague, including your phd classmate, your own supervisor, program coordinator, etc., through orientation at the very first beginning of semester, or through research seminar/ workshop, to observe that whether that is the life style that you want to chase. Your concern is not unique, many ppl have the same consideration before they made their final decision.

Hope you figure out soon.

Last edited by ttcookie; 02-04-2016 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by phded:
    oh wow...i can't do that for 4 years....

i used to teach in china, i was able to afford almost everything with my salary then. now i am making the transition to poor student...OMG
    Better eat cabbage and water coz those student fees are gonna be a real bear