Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Scottfive
  • 4 Post By Scottfive
  • 1 Post By Scottfive

Looking for a former Opera star living in Hong Kong (?)

Closed Thread

Looking for a former Opera star living in Hong Kong (?)

Hello.
    I am trying to find a lady who lives in Hong Kong. She was a very well-know ‘Huangmei Opera’ star in the 1960’s (appeared in Shaw Brothers films made in Hong Kong). Her ‘stage-name’ is Jen Chieh (also known as Ren Jie). I would very much like to contact this lady. Can anyone suggest how I should try to find her? (I found an online reference that mentions that she lives in Mody Road, but that was a few years ago now).

Thank you,

Scott.
    jenny0107 likes this.

Best I can suggest is digging around Wiki for some old opera artists - some of them are still around in show biz / politics etc and may have facebook pages. Not sure what the contacts for the Chinese opera associations or production companies are... google may unearth something.

Also, perhaps contact Shaw Studios? They might have an archivist or historian on staff?

Shaw Studios

Quote Originally Posted by Scottfive:
    Hello.
    I am trying to find a lady who lives in Hong Kong. She was a very well-know ‘Huangmei Opera’ star in the 1960’s (appeared in Shaw Brothers films made in Hong Kong). Her ‘stage-name’ is Jen Chieh (also known as Ren Jie). I would very much like to contact this lady. Can anyone suggest how I should try to find her? (I found an online reference that mentions that she lives in Mody Road, but that was a few years ago now).

Thank you,

Scott.
    香港記憶 | Hong Kong Memory

apparent her chinese ( stage name) 任潔

Thank you Imparanoic.

I have found many references on the internet to Jen Chieh/Ren Jie (who's main film role was in the Shaw Bros. Huangmei Opera film 'Dream of the Red Chamber', 1962. She also appeared with her contemporary, and the more famous Huangmei Opera film star, Ivy Ling Bo, in the 40th anniversary reunion of the classic, record-breaking film 'The Love Eterne' (or story of the 'Butterfly Lovers') in 2002. Both stars are, or would be, quite elderly now.
    Scott.

imparanoic likes this.

Thank you Shri - some good leads there, which I have followed-up with. Many thanks. Scott.

Scott,
    Search Facebook for Bey Logan and message him. He should know her whereabouts or might be able to point you in the right direction.
    You can mention my name if needed.
    Good Luck !

Thanks JaredHK! I am not on Facebook, but should be able to find a way to contact him.

Scott.

Thanks 'Jared HK', I am in contact with Bey Logan and he is going to put 'feelers' out for me ...

As an update on my post, I should mention that the ladies name in Chinese is Yam Kit and the characters are:

任潔
    Yam Kit (Jen Chieh).

Thanks.
    MandM!, shri, imparanoic and 1 others like this.