View Poll Results: Will you renew your SCMP print subscription?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'll renew

0 0%
  • No, will not renew

3 30.00%
  • Not a subscriber

7 70.00%
Like Tree11Likes

SCMP Print Edition - Would you renew?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SCMP Print Edition - Would you renew?

We're probably one of the few here on GeoExpat who actually open the newspaper every morning and read through it while having breakfast and often go back to reading it later in the day to catch up on some of the longer format stories.

However, I've noticed that recently, there is very little content in the SCMP. The content is there mainly to fill the spaces taken up by advertisers. Local coverage is horribly inadequate and in general we're really not interested in the China stories that have started taking up more and more of the filler space.

The Sunday magazine is probably the only thing worth reading.

Someone I know commented - the Standard seems better these days. Looking at a copy of The Standard today, I disagree - its horrible.

Would I renew my subscription to the SCMP at this rate. No, infact a big fat no.

Are you a SCMP subscriber? Assuming you'll admit that in public, would you renew?

Open Casket likes this.

It's pretty awful. You'd think we are already a part of China and all China affairs should be the top news story to us. And let's talk about tycoons, because their opinion is so valuable... and let's talk about property prices, and why life in HK sucks, and some problems about education... And there you have it -- SCMP on any given day!

I think Mingpao must be good... pity I can't read Chinese.

Btw, it's nice to hear you and your family still has this tradition of reading a real newspaper. Wouldn't think you would.

Never subscribed but I used to buy it...stopped about 5 years ago.

Original Post Deleted
    The 'Bi-literate' Brain: The Key to Reading in a Sea of Screens - Note to Self - WNYC

I think it's nice to uphold non-screen traditions, too.
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Btw, it's nice to hear you and your family still has this tradition of reading a real newspaper. Wouldn't think you would.
    I still buy print books and I still enjoy reading a newspaper where/whenever I can find one.

Growing up, we'd have about 5-6 newspapers delivered to us on Sundays... assorted views, stories.. lazy Sundays. I rarely find time to read longer stories online. Would rather read them in print.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I still buy print books and I still enjoy reading a newspaper where/whenever I can find one.

Growing up, we'd have about 5-6 newspapers delivered to us on Sundays... assorted views, stories.. lazy Sundays. I rarely find time to read longer stories online. Would rather read them in print.
    You're not German are you?

I've become so bad about this -- I guess I've taken on this part of the Hong Kong culture. I *try* to read a print book, and it's much better evidently before going to sleep, but I end up making excuses...

I read SCMP when I'm sitting in Starbucks waiting for my son to finish his english tutor. Would never buy it though. Now the mobile app is free there is even less reason to buy the print version. I reckon they must be going the way of the dodo bird and ATV in the next 5 years.

Previously, very few stories in the print edition made it online or were uploaded a few days later. Now it seems to be the opposite. Paper has gotten thinner, and the crazy China stories are of no interest.

I wouldn't use it to wrap fish or wipe my ass!

Open Casket likes this.

My annual subscription ran out just as the paywall came down. Could not justify the $2,xxx annual fee for the printed version.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast