Like Tree9Likes

Depositing US dollar cheque

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

You are cool dudes.

So how come IBM can not wire the money to your brokerage ?
    Assuming they are with a brokerage.
    If they are with a custodian, can you buy fractional shares ?

In other words, what's the problem ???

Just an update, I checked with HSBC and they basically will not accept my cheque since the figure is too low (37$ US) and is issued by a bank in the US. They can't calculate the exact figures but said the charges will be more than what the cheque is worth ($100 HKD for here but then there will be charges from the issuing bank in the US which they are not sure what will be).

I remember I had the same problem resulting from a cheque that I got because us investors won a lawsuit.

So this is an issue we need to look into, how to cash in US cheques in HK

just endorse the check to a friend or family member

many US banks will allow you to bank a check online. try Chase

Morrison likes this.

Recently received a large check in US dollars. I had called HSBC prior to receiving the check and asked if it could be deposited into our account here. They said, of course.
    Took the check to the bank to deposit. They can deposit it BUT it takes 6 weeks and I would have to pay $800 HK in fees.

I took the check, sent it Speedpost to my US bank and funds were available in 3 days. The banks here can't quite figure out how to do things efficiently.

Morrison likes this.

Six week period is for sending the physical check to the US for clearing. If you have a decent balance and have been with the bank long enough the bank will buy the check from you and funds are available in a few days.

Morrison likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jonastainine:
    I got an IRS check for a few hundred bucks made out to me and my wife because we file jointly. After unsuccessfully getting it deposited I just tossed it.
    Just wait, they will send you a new one next year. they then snowball as for each you you don't cash the check in, they will send you separate ones for each year, plus an early warning letter to to say they are sendIng you a check.

The wallpaper idea doesn't seem so silly now...