Like Tree4Likes

Summer camp in Australia

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:

Australia and skiing is a rather expensive and depressing mix.
    As far as I'm concerned, anywhere cold enough to have snow is miserable, and Australia is expensive in any case ...

Original Post Deleted
    Answer to your questions, not these camps, but I did go on a lot of school camps as a kid - mainly music camps. Because Australian winters tend to be milder than those in the Northern hemisphere, your kids might welcome some relief from the stinking hot and sticky summer in HK.

But I also support HC's idea of summer courses at the YWCA - will keep them busy, close to home to their grandparents can enjoy your kids' company despite the lingo barrier - you say - and also do activities out of the hot weather.

Original Post Deleted
    I was just reminded that Ark Eden on Lantau does summer camps: Camps

The lady who runs it is a former teacher and really lovely person. The place is rather surreal, tucked away in the hills, where you wouldn't think you were within miles of a city. Might be a fun, educational experience. I think a bigger question is what your daughter's *friends* are doing. But anyway, if you drop them an email, they should be rather prompt in replying with more information.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Original Post Deleted
    I was just reminded that Ark Eden on Lantau does summer camps: Camps
    My son went there a couple of times in primary for field trips and its a tough one. The walk uphill from the pier was not easy on little legs. Not flushing after using the toilet for #1 grossed them out, the pig was the highlight of the trip.

Here is a nicely summarized list of tons of camps and stuff todo in the summer.
    Summer Camps in Hong Kong | Little Steps

civil_servant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rani:
    My son went there a couple of times in primary for field trips and its a tough one. The walk uphill from the pier was not easy on little legs. Not flushing after using the toilet for #1 grossed them out, the pig was the highlight of the trip.
    It is a kind of rough place, especially if you're not used to camping or being in the woods. I can imagine, too, all the mosquitoes might be a problem. Did your son overall enjoy it though? I think it's a nice contrast to the urban life most HK kids know, and whether or not it's fun it's a chance to experience life without creature-comforts. :P It's the sort of thing if kids are doing with their friends, I think it can be fun. There's a really nice natural pool there, too!

The walk there isn't *that* bad... it is 3 km, but on a concrete path. It's like most "hikes" in HK.

Original Post Deleted
    All of my kids have done it, multiple times - would recommend it highly. Lots of outdoors, lots of team building, swimming, jumping off the jetty, building rafts, fires and all sorts of fun and games.
    They are a bit different summer vs winter - I would recommend doing it once in each season....

I'm curious, I once heard kind of rumors about an organization doing camps or what not (like in Double Haven) and leaving tons of waste and not packing out -- was it Outward Bound?

Original Post Deleted
    there are two other organizations I know of (have personal experience with), and it seems maybe they were one and split into two, and I don't know why or what the story is behind that:
    Outdoor Education Asia | Outdoor Education Asia
    Welcome to ATeamEdventures — Explore Hong Kong Like never Before

With Ateamedventures, I know Ester and John are *great* with a high standard for safety and they make a really fun day out because they put a lot of effort into it themselves (and they're very knowledgeable about the land/seascape in HK). But I think both these organizations are great and provide safe, memorable trips.