Like Tree64Likes

Stories of Migrant Domestic Workers in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    Which story was a 'good' story? The four main 'articles' were quite negative. The author even states on the home page that "If they are lucky, they might get really nice employers; If not, which does happen, you will read about it in this blog" Doesn't seem that neutral to me and I think Stu79 and HE have a point.
    The "good" story I referred to was the one where lesbian helpers find comfort or happiness in escaping the oppression of Islam and the horrible manner in which they treat gays.

Most stories would tend to be negative given the terrible conditions and lack of protections these women endure. I think the blog is a great way for people to gain insight into the struggles of being a FDH....

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Another perspective would be while the migrant domestic workers are enjoying their day off the hundreds of thousands of local working poor are working yet another 12 hour shift for 35hkd an hour and will always remain below the poverty line living in subdivided housing or cages.

Something to think about OP but I applaud your efforts and compassion.
    The locals are afforded much more protection under HK labor laws & would have a far easier time filing grievances should wrong doings occur.

and while the cage houses are sad, at least the locals have the sense of privacy, independence & freedom associated with not being confined to someone else's house.
    Last edited by Open Casket; 25-05-2016 at 11:05 PM.

I found them interesting but agree with the others - would be nice to also include some of the good stories. I have a friend who is a hiker and leads hikes in HK ... yet is also a DH! Her employer gives her lots of time off (enough to lead several hikes a week) and she says nothing but good things about them. There are "good" stories but perhaps you don't find them if you just wander around the streets on Sunday. My friend would be in the hills, not on the streets.

hullexile, Mat, jmbf and 2 others like this.

This might be an interesting story to follow or blog about...a lot of helpers are forced to do crazy things things (like take pregnancy tests). This Indonesian girl is very courageous for having the courage to stand up to this terrible employer. The more stories like this get published, the more likely other helpers will have the courage to stand up for their rights & not allow employers to treat them like sub humans.

In first for Hong Kong, domestic helper takes employers to court for sex discrimination over pregnancy test | South China Morning Post

Hi Shri,

It would be great if you could push this to the group. As I said earlier and what stu79 and hullexile suggested, I am looking for different perspectives and different stories. Also I am looking for ways to help them concretely, so that connection would help a lot.

Thanks again!

Open Casket, Stu79 and hullexile like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    This might be an interesting story to follow or blog about...a lot of helpers are forced to do crazy things things (like take pregnancy tests). This Indonesian girl is very courageous for having the courage to stand up to this terrible employer. The more stories like this get published, the more likely other helpers will have the courage to stand up for their rights & not allow employers to treat them like sub humans.

In first for Hong Kong, domestic helper takes employers to court for sex discrimination over pregnancy test | South China Morning Post
    Hi Open Casket,

Thank you for sharing the encouraging news yet sad episode. I agree with you that most of the stories will likely be "negative" because from what I have seen and heard, the ugly truth is that many of them are here not because they love being a domestic helper and are not protected by the law. For every happy face and funny story, there is some negative touch behind. As I am not shunning from the "negative" stories that some might find uncomfortable to read, I will also present "positive" stories if I come across.
    Open Casket likes this.

For deeper insight, I'd be interested to hear the blogger's narrative about her trips to Indonesia and the Philippines to see the conditions maids come from to HK. It would be a fascinating comparison if done properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    The locals are afforded much more protection under HK labor laws & would have a far easier time filing grievances should wrong doings occur.

and while the cage houses are sad, at least the locals have the sense of privacy, independence & freedom associated with not being confined to someone else's house.
    I like how you are able to speak on behalf of an entire population as if you had any idea how people living in cage houses feel.

Give it a rest OC really. Plenty of FDH are having it hard and I wouldn't like to be in their shoes. Millions of locals are having it really hard too and I too wouldn't like to be in their shoes. One is not above or below the other one. Both are in position neither you or me would like to be. Give it a rest, really.
    shri, jmbf, hullexile and 1 others like this.

If you PM me your email address I will share it with some helpers if you want.

While I disagree entirely with CSK's viewpoint of the helpers have it cushy compared to locals his point about bringing in what life would be like at home is valid. However this is both negative and positive. Sure they are escaping poverty and can afford to send money home which if they are lucky will be spent on education and housing. However it is also negative in terms of the culture they are leaving behind which is very social and built around the extended family. Without wanting to put words into their mouths, this is a big loss to them.

Char Siu King likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast