Like Tree64Likes

Stories of Migrant Domestic Workers in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Stories of Migrant Domestic Workers in HK

Hi All,

I relocated from Boston to HK last fall and was shocked to see the Sunday gatherings. As I learned more about the situation, I decided to start a blog to bring different perspectives of issues related to migrant domestic workers.

Because I am still exploring what is the best way to present stories and maximize the effect of the blog, I was hoping you could take a look at it and offer some advice.

http://wonderlostinhk.wordpress.com

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by shri; 25-05-2016 at 06:45 PM.

Well done and I applaud your effort. It's nice that people take an interest and show the human side of the FDH scheme in Hong Kong. They might be treated like a subclass of humans here, but they are people just like you and me.

Well done and unlike some on here who complain all the time but don't seem to be doing anything, at least you are trying! Congrats again!

Love the idea and it looks nicely executed.

My feedback would be that the scroll on the home page is a bit jerky, it seems to flick past the links to the content quickly. Maybe move the home part to the first or second block with a link to the latest post, then have the rest listed in the block below for ease of navigation for first time and regular readers?

Also, as the blog develops I would suggest you try and focus not only on the negative side of helpers lives. Some of the helpers I have met have been funny people with some great stories, I think it would be great if some of these could be shared.

Hope this is helpful, I'll certainly bookmark the page.

Will take a look tomorrow. If you are jnwteresred, we have a helper group on Facebook with about 40K helpers from HK. I could push this into that group if you want.

Good site and well done.

I would echo stu's point though, why not tell some of the good stories too? I am not suggesting a 50:50 balance but just to highlight that it need not be all bad. It would block some of the criticism you might get.

Can I suggest another location for you? Bible Baptist Church, Sai Wan Ho Street, Sai Wan Ho. Almost exclusively a helper church and if you go on a Sunday lunchtime you will probably get a free lunch

jmbf likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Good site and well done.

I would echo stu's point though, why not tell some of the good stories too?
    Umm, did you read the blog? The first story was a "good" story.

I would continue to simply tell the stories & not try to control the narrative to fit your views. I'm sure there will naturally be some good and some bad.
    Lord Dashwood likes this.

Whats the story behing the strange name of the blog ?

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    Umm, did you read the blog? The first story was a "good" story.

I would continue to simply tell the stories & not try to control the narrative to fit your views. I'm sure there will naturally be some good and some bad.
    Which story was a 'good' story? The four main 'articles' were quite negative. The author even states on the home page that "If they are lucky, they might get really nice employers; If not, which does happen, you will read about it in this blog" Doesn't seem that neutral to me and I think Stu79 and HE have a point.
    chuckster007 and Mat like this.

Another perspective would be while the migrant domestic workers are enjoying their day off the hundreds of thousands of local working poor are working yet another 12 hour shift for 35hkd an hour and will always remain below the poverty line living in subdivided housing or cages.

Something to think about OP but I applaud your efforts and compassion.

Skyhook likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast