Like Tree86Likes

Helpers leave us helpless....

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    Seriously? I'm in an office of around 150 people and I should go pick up a vacuum and give my area a once over before I leave? And trash? 150 people each taking their trash out individually? (to I don't even know where). This is disruptive to the job that people are actually paid to do.

If our cleaning lady went away for 2 weeks, I'd expect our office manager to take care of it however she sees fit. I don't even want to know about it.
    One of the ways I judge people in interviews is whether they will "help out" if they see something needs doing... open a door for someone carrying a load, help stack papers for someone binding them (carried out a whole interview while binding a stack of docs once) and so on. If my staff see a room with dirty cups on the table and a client coming they better bloody clean it up! Sure we hire a cleaner but I also expect staff to maintain a certain level of hygiene in the interim!
    Open Casket, Claire ex-ax and AGxM like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    One of the ways I judge people in interviews is whether they will "help out" if they see something needs doing... open a door for someone carrying a load, help stack papers for someone binding them (carried out a whole interview while binding a stack of docs once) and so on. If my staff see a room with dirty cups on the table and a client coming they better bloody clean it up! Sure we hire a cleaner but I also expect staff to maintain a certain level of hygiene in the interim!
    Sure but that has nothing to do with what OC is suggesting. Unless he works in a small office (say below 5 peeps or sthg) I would expect the company to hire someone for 2 weeks. We are 500 here, with various stuff like trading floors, private banking area etc etc...I can't wait to see the head of trading vaccuming the floors and the head of PB cleaning the loo.

Seriously OC sometimes....

[and yes I clean at home and yes I was brought up the way many were, ie clean up your room, help washing the dishes etc etc..yet in an office evironment I do clean my coffee mug and make sure my desk is neat and tidy but I would not clean up the loo or take out the trash etc etc]
    Last edited by Mat; 02-06-2016 at 02:23 PM.
    jmbf likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    The thing is, many locals don't know how to do laundry or use a washing machine. I mean that's the basics. How can you teach your helper if you don't know yourself.
    Really? I would love to see the research done to substantiate this statement. I knew this "discussion" would come down this path. The locals are stupid, lazy, dirty and not self-reliant ... blah, blah, blah.
    Mat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Washing a cup, tidying a desk is helping out. Vacuuming or taking out trash goes a bit beyond that in an office environment and is disruptive. Imagine the guy that sits next to you vacuuming whilst you are on a call with a client.

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    Washing a cup, tidying a desk is helping out. Vacuuming or taking out trash goes a bit beyond that in an office environment and is disruptive. Imagine the guy that sits next to you vacuuming whilst you are on a call with a client.
    Vacuuming during working hours? I go to lunch and this thread goes crazy.

The point being, one should be able to clean up after themselves for a week or two in the abscence of a amah, but in Hong Kong that seems like asking for a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    The point being, one should be able to clean up after themselves for a week or two in the abscence of a amah, but in Hong Kong that seems like asking for a lot.
    Probability of winning the mark six is higher then cleaning up LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    Vacuuming during working hours? I go to lunch and this thread goes crazy.

in HK??

Ask pretty much anywhere in the developped world in a company having above 10 staffs. You will get the same answers.

See you posted on an expat forums and expact replied that for the vast majority they would not do it...how is that a HK thing.

You were wrong on that one, stop waiving your hands in the wind and move on
    Dankleness likes this.

You guys are making a issue out of a non issue. It is only two weeks. Wear a surgical mask or work from home/clients office if needed for the second week and pray the amah is coming as promised. Problem solved.

chuckster007 likes this.

I love my helper. I need her here. Back in the states maybe I wouldn't as much.

My wife and I work full time jobs leaving by 8 in the morning and often getting home pretty close to that time in the evening. We have a 2 yr old and a 7 month old. I'd be screwed without her. Yes, plenty of people abuse their helpers, lots of people abuse lots of things. Yes doing chores and helping out and taking care of yourself are important things to learn as a kid.

Same old helper thread.

merchantms likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dankleness:

Same old helper thread.
    After your post, I guess it is .......

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast