Like Tree30Likes

Gloating after court verdict.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I think there needs to be a distinction here between a suspended sentence and a not guilty verdict being overturned.

A suspended sentence means the charges will be dropped if the accused behaves in a specified manner.

If someone receives a not guilty verdict, and then brags about it on facebook...I can't see changing the verdict, that would be wrong. Last I checked there is no law against bragging and acting like a fool....

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket
    I think there needs to be a distinction here between a suspended sentence and a not guilty verdict being overturned.

A suspended sentence means the charges will be dropped if the accused behaves in a specified manner.

If someone receives a not guilty verdict, and then brags about it on facebook...I can't see changing the verdict, that would be wrong. Last I checked there is no law against bragging and acting like a fool....
    I don't think they can change a verdict, only a sentence. Though you can be held in contempt of court for things you say online I believe, not-guilty verdict or not.
    shri likes this.

No, a suspended sentence does not mean the charges will be dropped. That is a conditional discharge. A suspended sentence means the person has been found guilty as charged, but the sentence given by the judge may be remitted dependent on a successful period of probation. The person is subject to many conditions, just as those who receive early release from prison are. If you don't behave the full sentence must be served.

Both the story linked in the OP, and the one linked by me talked about suspended sentences. Where did the "not guilty" party come from?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Some stupid criminals don't get as far as gloating on Facebook about a suspended sentence. Their gloating stops when the idiots pose with their loot.

Dim crooks rumbled after posing with loot on Facebook

Ohio bank robbers arrested 'after posing for Facebook photos with money' | Daily Mail Online

Char Siu King likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax
    Some stupid criminals don't get as far as gloating on Facebook about a suspended sentence. Their gloating stops when the idiots pose with their loot.
    If the repetitive bickering on Geoexpat doesn't destroy your faith in humanity, the links that get posted will
    shri and threelittlepigs like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    Both the story linked in the OP, and the one linked by me talked about suspended sentences. Where did the "not guilty" party come from?
    Admittedly I didn't read the link, I just assumed. If it's a suspended sentence then what's the big deal? Judge was right... move on
    civil_servant likes this.

Admittedly I didn't read the link, I just assumed. If it's a suspended sentence then what's the big deal? Judge was right... move on
    I think it's a big deal, at least in HK elsewhere I don't know, as a suspended jail sentence will still show as a jail sentence in your records (albeit suspended). Many people apparently prefer serving a Community Service Order instead (cleaning dog sh*t for 250hours).

Quote Originally Posted by jrkob
    I think it's a big deal, at least in HK elsewhere I don't know, as a suspended jail sentence will still show as a jail sentence in your records (albeit suspended). Many people apparently prefer serving a Community Service Order instead (cleaning dog sh*t for 250hours).
    After knocking the discussion about maids, I still can't resist.

Cleaning dog sh*t? In HK? For community service? No way that would happen. This is how it works: Maids let the dogs of their masters (sorry, employers) do the business on newspaper and then carry it to the nearest bin. I've even seen them wiping the dog's arse. Oh Hong Kong how you amuse me.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King
    After knocking the discussion about maids, I still can't resist.

Cleaning dog sh*t? In HK? For community service? No way that would happen. This is how it works: Maids let the dogs of their masters (sorry, employers) do the business on newspaper and then carry it to the nearest bin. I've even seen them wiping the dog's arse. Oh Hong Kong how you amuse me.
    Thanks for the clarification I'm sure no one else had understood what I meant by "cleaning dog sh*t" !
    shri likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast