Like Tree18Likes

question about volunteer protection - help needed

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Another question to ask is, who was the person who was abusive?

I know that a lot of - shall we say - not very employable people do involve themselves in volunteer activities. Sometimes they can actually be competent in the area in which they are assisting, but otherwise throughly socially inept. Maybe on the autistic spectrum, suffering proto-dementia issues, maybe Tourette's sydrome, subnormal IQ or EQ (I'm thinking of a number of part time helpers where I work!). Oh yes, and then there are the cross-cultural and mixed languages issues.

Am not certain if any of these things apply in your friend's case, but just saying, the volunteer team leader may be aware of something like that, and just assumed your friend also knew the background story.

hullexile likes this.

Or something like the Scouts?

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    Is this by any chance a religious group?
    Sounds more like a school.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Or something like the Scouts?
    you maybe right

If that is the case, then there should be some rules of conduct for the volunteers. International groups have some solid rules of conduct - at the end of the day they're money making businesses.

But my point here is ... it is hard to get put ones self back in a community that does not want you, need you or care about you.

Fiona in HKG likes this.

I think sexual harassment is still illegal whether you are an employee or a volunteer.

But like others said, you are putting forth your time and energy, why not put it towards a better cause. There are lots of people that we don't get on with, so try to find someone that clicks and everything runs more smoothly.

It's not only you, we ALL experience this type of person in our lives.

Good luck.

Natfixit likes this.

I've had plenty of experience of groups of volunteers here who end up acting like assholes. I don't quite go as far as Kinch to say it's the human condition, but it does seem to be an unfortunate side-effect of "little emperors" who get too much power in what is, probably, an unimportant role in the scheme of things!

Totally support those who say just walk away. You have to. Nobody really cares about anyone else so you just have to protect yourself and - more - continue to value yourself enough not to put yourself in such situations. If your fellow volunteers demean you they are not worth being with. Find something else to do with people who are nicer.

However, if what you are talking about is actually a crime - physical or sexual abuse for example - you have the same protection as everyone and should call the police. If not a crime - nope - nothing doing.

Kinch, Fiona in HKG, shri and 1 others like this.

Thanks everyone contributed thoughts.