Like Tree45Likes

HK beaches under siege from trash

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

HK beaches under siege from trash

Past few weeks unprecedented amounts of trash have been washing up. Like an "oil spill" of trash.

Photos: Hong Kong’s beaches are suddenly covered in massive piles of trash — Quartz

In pictures: the tide of trash swamping Hong Kong beaches, the volunteer cleanup and the hidden island dump causing it | South China Morning Post

For anyone out on the water or visiting beaches, please feel free to share photos here:
    https://m.facebook.com/groups/162997...group_activity

No one really knows what's causing it, except the usual problems and tides washing it all back. Some from HK, some from Mainland (from their floods?), and a nearby Chinese island that has some serious illegal dumping going on.

itsdawn likes this.

I noticed the beach on Peng Chau recently was awash with rubbish. Time for the OP to organise a beach cleanup (or 20) before it washes back out again.

At least if the rubbish is on the beach it's not in the sea killing more marine life.....

a mate of mine posted this on his facebook page. He also posted a video on his fb page of the trash on Nim Shue Wan which was mainly Mainland China Chinese branded rubbish. Not sure you can see his video but her is the link.

https://www.facebook.com/gary.stokes...4109441481999/

Gary Stokes

CALL TO ACTION :HONG KONG
    This is a call out to everyone in Hong Kong. We need to build a picture of the trash across the whole of Hong Kong. Some of it is from here whilst some is from mainland.
    In order for us to get a clear picture we need people to quickly have a close look at what items you are seeing in your area in the majority, and where they are from.
    We need a factual accurate picture so we can ascertain where the trash is coming from. What we dont need is people hijacking for personal political agendas. If the majority of trash near you looks to be of HK origin say so, if its all unknown packaging from overseas then say so.
    Once we have a clear picture we can try and zero in on the source or sources.
    Send pics to
    Sea Shepherd HK facebook page.
    Thankyou.
    Elegiaque and Fiona in HKG like this.

I read it this morning on SCMP but cant seem to find it now, the HK Govt is blaming the flooding and heavy rains recently in China for all the rubbish that is coming to HK. Stick a fucking big boom next at the pearl river delta to catch the crap before it gets to us FFS.

HK_Katherine likes this.

Repulse Bay few days ago ...

Elegiaque likes this.

Hey. It's one country, one trash barrel. Get used to it.

shri and JAherbert like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jobin:
    Hey. It's one country, one trash barrel. Get used to it.
    The cost the world will pay, for doing ( globalisation ) 'business'...
    rickyross likes this.

The green groups are complaining that they were blindly collecting. Not sorting and identifying brands/source. Yet essentially they're blaming China, not addressing the sources of the problem at home.

Pictures did look like it was ridiculously staged, though they chose a messy but beautiful place. I don't know if they can have a meaningful experience doing these photo-ops, but if it is possible, then I hope it was. I think it's a good gesture.

That's why I'm going to Vietnam to swim. Seeing occasional rubbish just casually floating past me while I'm in the water kills any drive to go to the beach here.

I live on the kind of an island. There's a thin strip of sand surrounding my apartment complex. Sometimes there's no rubbish but sometimes there's all sorts of rubbish all around the building. It happens randomly. And it has been happening for years. When I look at the water from my window I don't see any rubbish in it at all, yet on certain mornings suddenly a lot of rubbish just gets washed up on our island. It's almost as if all the rubbish floated from somewhere in a large group/pile.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast