Like Tree17Likes

Red light camera

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

How did you get a car without a valid driver's license?

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    C

Car ownership is not tied to a drivers license.
    imparanoic and civil_servant like this.

I got a speeding ticket while driving on my U.K. licence. I paid the fine, no points.

Don't do it once you have your H.K. licence or it will be five.

To add, I've been flashed a couple of times in my 7 years of H.K. driving and never head anything from them.

shri and Jam79 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    @Jam79, and you only have 12 points before you lose your license. Points stay on for 2 years.
    15. Pad, pad, pad

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHairy:
    To add, I've been flashed a couple of times in my 7 years of H.K. driving and never head anything from them.
    Let me guess. You have a pretty face.

Quote Originally Posted by Jam79:
    Not an excuse, simply stating the circumstances. It was careless so I'll need to take whatever is coming on the chin. Live n learn as you say.

sorry, but that's patently bullshit re your ' special ' circumstances, just slow the fuck down in future, especially where built up traffic and intersections apply !

Also, just as a matter of interest, the timing of the amber signal, over here, should be treated as if it were red, as it is timed deliberately to not give you enough time to cross the intersection. In a nut shell, you broke the law, fair and square, sunny Jim.

If you are a HK resident, you will be up for a minimum of $800 ( more likely $1000 ) court fine, and you will be requested by the court to attend a Hong Kong Driving School, driver improvement course which will cost you a further $1000, on top...

not sure about your points, as I assume you will be converting a UK license to a HK one, so, they might add them later, as your converted future license and hkid card, share the same number.

Enjoy your 8 hour, Sunday course, no escaping that though...lol

Also, isn't it by law that you MUST convert a foreign drivers license within 6 months of taking up full time residence in HK...?

How long have you been driving on a UK license for ?
    Last edited by Skyhook; 09-09-2016 at 10:15 AM.
    rickyross likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by civil_servant:
    Simple. The department of transport accepted my UK licence. It was a new car so I was the first registered owner. They even accepted my UK passport as ID as I didn't have a HKID at that time.
    shri, civil_servant and jaykay like this.

If you are a HK resident, you will be up for a minimum of $800 ( more likely $1000 ) court fine, and you will be requested by the court to attend a Hong Kong Driving School, driver improvement course which will cost you a further $1000, on top...
    I don't recall being asked to attend any course. I think I paid $800 -- all without having to interact with any human.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHairy:
    I got a speeding ticket while driving on my U.K. licence. I paid the fine, no points.

Don't do it once you have your H.K. licence or it will be five.

Thanks, l had a quick look at some other posts and a couple of other folks have said the same. I was thinking there would be no way to enforce the points if you don't have a HK licence.

How long did you drive on your UK licence before converting to a HK licence? The transport website isn't clear on timeframes for residents. Visitors can drive on the foreign licence for 12 months..

Around 14 or 15 years ago I still hadn't bothered with an HK License - I still had by South African Driving License & UK one too, my attitude to the police who stopped me for a faulty tail light was take your pick. However, they took me to the police station & put me in a cell! There is a requirement to have an HK License if u have been in HK longer than 6 months & most vehicle insurance policies make an HK license a pre-requisite to coverage. So I was driving without insurance too!

I was luck they had a Gweilo Policeman talk to me for about 2 hours & was told to get an HK License immediately or face prosecution - I did it the next morning at Admiralty. I think today they would just take it straight to court these days.

Moral of the story - doesn't matter what someone other than police accept for identity - if u don't get a license within 6 months these days u will get a fine & points because the RHKP has changed immeasurably. Jam79 hope u haven't been here for more than 6 months or u are lucky in that its just a bulb flashing in an empty camera shell.

Skyhook likes this.