Like Tree12Likes

Having a baby with Hong Kong citizen.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Having a baby with Hong Kong citizen.

Me and my girlfriend - she's a HK citizen - have been living in Germany for the last 3 years, and 6 months ago we've decided to come back to Hong Kong, to settle down a little. In the meantime my girlfriend got pregnant, we're incredibly happy about it, however there is one thing that worries me a little bit. Which is the legal aspect of my stay in Hong Kong. Naturally, we want to stay in Hong Kong, where my girlfriend's family is. However I have no idea how could I make myself legally reside in Hong Kong. I am a freelancing web developer, working online, and my girlfriend has a full time job. I am currently staying on tourist visa, which I'd like to change to some other kind, but honestly have no idea how would I go about doing that. Should I get a full time position, or maybe we should get married? I want to not to have to worry about visas, so I can enjoy time with my family here in Hong Kong.

Thank You for any help.

We thought so, but she only landed her full time job last month (she's been tutoring before)and we're not sure if this is enough to sponsor my dependant visa. I'd like to land a full time job, but there's two things to it:
    - I, as a web developer have possibility to work online, so I can stay at home with our newborn,
    - I am not sure if web development is a right career for a foreigner in HK. Also, I don't have a degree.

as a german your easiest solution is to get a working holiday visa for 1 year. that gives you some time to breathe

Well, I'm not German nor from a country eligible for this visa. Me and my girlfriend both want to get married, however we're afraid that it might be more difficult because of the time she has worked full time in Hong Kong.

Do the working holiday visa.

To get an employment visa, you will have trouble without a university degree, unless you have some amazing experience to list down.

Marriage would be the best. Gives you the freedom. And you have a baby. I'm sure the family will have many comments if you are not married.

Getting married is not a quick solution either. Takes time. What passport do you hold?

I'm a Polish citizen, so I get to stay in Hong Kong for 90 days each time. But I've made the visa run to Macau two times already, and I'm not sure how many times more can I do it. We've been thinking about getting married for quite some time already, now that we have a baby we've already decided. We're just not sure how long would it take and how to start.

Huh, marriage takes time in hk? You can do it within 2.5 weeks if you line things up right

Yes, I've checked the working holiday visa before, and unfortunately I cannot participate. My girlfriend is a Macau citizen as well, maybe it's easier over there. Does anybody know? Thanks

I've heard getting married in HK can be pretty quick, but not always. I've heard it can be tricky to make an appointment.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast