Like Tree4Likes

Smelly Aircon

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smelly Aircon

Hi,

I found an old thread on this but it was quite old so does anyone have a number of a company who can come in and clean aircon units ?

My unit has recently started blowing out a dampy, wet sock kind of smell. I've cleaned the filters but no joy so if anyone knows a company that can clean the unit that would be great. Or, if anyone know what could cause the smell, i guess its just a gradual dirt build up as its been getting worse but i was too lazy to do anything about it !

Thanks !

There are plenty of companies around - if you live in a building with management then ask them - they may have a deal with a particular company.

Note though that aircon service isn't generally done on site - they take the unit away and bring it back a couple of days later.

It needs to be sprayed out. IMO you should have this done every year or your AC becomes a breeding ground for bacteria. My air conditioner has a silver lining (seriously) which keeps the bacteria in check.

Yep, you must clean the aircon. We clean every month (should be less in winter) and you don't wanna know how much dirt and bacteria there is inside! We take out the filters and flaps of the aircon, spray and clean everything with a small brush/stick.If you don't do that now and then(depends how much you use it), the aircon get blocked and start leaking.

I actually meant it had to be partially disassembled and sprayed out with high pressure hoses. Any air-conditioning repair place can do it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    I actually meant it had to be partially disassembled and sprayed out with high pressure hoses. Any air-conditioning repair place can do it for you.
    Yes, but it is so easy to do you can do it yourself. It saves you 500 hkDollar for 1 unit. (Well, that's what they charged us the first and last time...)

u can buy the Air Conditioner cleaner (lemon Flavor) from Japan Home center type shops, U take the filter out and clean the the fins behind it (compressor i think) with a brush, then you spray it with the air con cleaner and leave it for 15 min, after that you turn on the air con and it will blow out the dirt and you will get fresh lemon flavor air coming out.

the can cost about 35HKD

Last edited by wtbhotia; 05-11-2008 at 09:43 AM.

The $500 covers a lot more than spraying lemon cleaner around inside: you get the refrigerant replaced, the bearings tightened and lubricated and so on. Mine will be going off for a service soon, not least because they are getting noisy.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    The $500 covers a lot more than spraying lemon cleaner around inside: you get the refrigerant replaced, the bearings tightened and lubricated and so on. Mine will be going off for a service soon, not least because they are getting noisy.
    Agreed. You can't compare a $35 can of spray to a high pressure jet either. New refrigerant makes a world of difference too!

Resurrecting an ancient thread as we have tried all the sage advice above including multiple DIY spray attempts on our 3 split units, and then having some people come in and take off the covers and pressure wash etc. Only one of them was observed to be dirty by the cleaning company, and ironically was not the one that smelt worst!

Now they still all smell at startup for 5 mins and one of them has a light but fairly constant musty smell.

I suspect it is the drainage line that is the problem... any tips for a DIY remedy? I presume I just unscrew the plastic front to get access to the drain line and can start pouring bleach or vinegar in there to try to improve things?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast