Like Tree49Likes

How much is public housing in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by aspiringteacher:
    How do you know?
    Part of the job.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    In uk estates, you will see burnt out cars, spent foil /needles and smashed Windows, do you see that in Hk? Is it dangerous like uk, no, is appealing, some older estate look a bit depressing
    Not at all. Public housing I think is often a standard higher than what many expats who come here and their first post on here is where can I find a room share.

The old old public housing usually has non sealed hallways, but they always have good working lifts and nearby food and public transport. Most also have car parks and I've often times seen Mercedes and BMW inside, but maybe like 5-10 cars out of 100, so less than what you see at some shopping malls of course.

The middle aged to newer public housing is not bad, have security, parking, etc. Problem is the size.

Allocation is based on the family size and some families renovate their units so they are decent. I believe 1 person gets a 150-200 sq ft studio then you add something like 75-100 sq ft per additional person.

Costs what I heard was about $900 for a single person and something like $2-3k for a family of 4-5.

Tenants need to report their salary and technically if too high they need to give up their space. Yet I think they just pay double or triple rent.

To lose their public housing, they need to get enough violation points to get kicked out or lie about their financial status and get caught. Public housing tenants are not allowed to own any property. They have asset and income limits as well.

I lived in a public housing unit for a few months. It was nicely done like a hotel mini suite with full ocean view and a small balcony. It was one of the older housing estates and located in ChaiWan. Public housing in HK is just like any housing here but no frills. The projects here are not like the kind we have in the Bronx or wherever. I have been to the projects in the US and while they are "better" it is the low lives that make them bad. Anyway the flat belonged to a successful friend of a friend who managed to easily as I was told to essentially commit welfare fraud. I never met those people so I guess they simply didn't needed but still the flat was an "advantage" a word I keep hearing in HK regarding just about everything. Just don't "seek die" (you HongKers here help me out with the language. Anyway soon after that I started my post in Shanghai.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Often wondered if this is why our landlord refuses to put his address on the tenancy agreement, because I know he lives in a Housing Authority estate.

I wonder how rampant fraud and abusing the system is. I get the impression it's pretty widespread.

@shri you've said near you there's expensive cars in the public housing estate with dual licence plates, right?

There is far too much public housing in Hong Kong and much of it should be sold off at a discount to the families have lived in it a long time and can afford to buy it.

A significant discount should be offered as the subsidised housing is the principle reason for the wages of grass roots being so low.

The government should offer

- Enforce ALL new developments to have 20% affordable housing
    - Offer Housing benefit so people can rent in the private sector
    - Offer a public housing flat as last resort

Hearing stories of graduates deliberately not looking for jobs or working in dead-end super dull low paid jobs so they can get on the HA list for a cheap flat is a terrible symptom of the system.

Hong Kong has for too much public housing.

wrong thread

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    In uk estates, you will see burnt out cars, spent foil /needles and smashed Windows, do you see that in Hk? Is it dangerous like uk, no, is appealing, some older estate look a bit depressing
    You will see none of that in hk public housing estates. Although you will see young kids and elderly walking around without a concern. Interestingly the horrific design of most hk public housing - bars on windows, 300sf bare rooms for a family of 4 - would be morally unacceptable let alone illegal in the uk. Tells you something about social values.

Quote Originally Posted by monomono:
    Tells you something about social values.
    What would that be?

What would that be?
    They know the system is so rigged that if they make a fuss it will not make a difference?
    Skyhook likes this.

What would that be?
    Well firstly, the British government built hk public housing at a standard that would be considered inhumane for their own people, even animals. Secondly, given better public housing, British people turn them into worse places to live.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast