Like Tree49Likes

How much is public housing in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by Karma Police:
    Just reduce the number of people allowed into Hong Kong every year. No need for more tower blocks, if you have less people.
    No chance LOL expect more ppl to be let in as these so called Think Tanks wants cheaper / more skilled labour from Chena

Call to raise intake of skilled mainlanders - RTHK

Assuming ZERO inflow of people, I just did the calculation. Currently there are some 3.28 million people in public housing, each with an average space of 141sqft. (source Housing In Figures 2016 from the Hong Kong Housing Authority). Accordingly to Skyhook, couples should have 500 and families 1000. Assuming a family is 4 people, this implies an average of 250sq ft per person.

This means that the housing stock of public housing would need to increase by 56% - so if you think about all the areas in HK full of public housing (lots and lots of space) we need to increase that by over half again.

That's a HELL OF A LOT OF BUILDINGS.

So - where are they going to go? What about the roads needed to get to them? Who is going to build them? Does it mean public housing rents also go up 56%? Can anyone afford that?

Oh - and by the way - that's just the PUBLIC housing. Much of the private housing, which accounts for a much higher share of the mix, would also need to increase.

Welcome to the concrete jungle of the future. Or just get real and accept there is not enough space for everyone to have huge homes.

rsndl and mobtrio like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Karma Police:
    Just reduce the number of people allowed into Hong Kong every year. No need for more tower blocks, if you have less people.
    Often the simplest solutions are the best.
    Karma Police likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Given the thread is about public housing, I can't see how employment visa holders are at all relevant. Dependents of PR's would be.

But as i understand it, the skilled migrants make up circa 5% of the population. Changing their numbers will barely impact on anything.

Original Post Deleted
    well, theresa may at the end of the day is really a sith

http://i.imgur.com/OPGx4lo.jpg
    chuckster007 likes this.

when does a city decide that it has enough people to be pleasant to live in ?

If I had my way, I'd be getting rid of the present China border and merging Shenzhen with Hong Kong, which would elevate the land supply issues. All administrated and controlled by the HKSAR government, of course . Id also fuck off right hand drive cars while I'm at it he he and just stick with the standard left hand drive, like the rest of the country, and most of the world.

When HK only has a land mass of 1100km2 it seems utterly retarded to me that they keep bringing more and more people in when the government isn't even satisfying its present public housing quota for folks that were already established/existent here. Its also putting a strain on schools and hospitals.
    One of my brother in laws is married to a lady from Guangzhou, married for 14 years, ( 12 year old daughter) they applied for public housing over 10 years ago, and are still waiting....... So he ended up getting a job in Shenzhen and lives in SZ full time instead. He's actually quite happy, their 3 bedroom apartment is 1200sqft and has a large balcony.

There are a lot of cases like his, but the cool thing about my bro inlaw is that he doesn't bitch and moan about it, he just waits patiently until his case number comes up. His wife has permanent hkid card too. At the rate that HK is going backwards for menial workers like my bro inlaw, he may not even bother living in HK, he's on better pay than hed get in HK ( Chinese multilingual Chef at a western restaurant ).

Having too many people in a small concentrated place is a very bad idea for most developed cities, HK just pushes the boundaries of comfort , which would have citizens elsewhere in the west going to war with their government if they tried such ( present ) cramped housing on.

Last edited by Skyhook; 01-11-2016 at 04:38 PM.
    TheDevil_666 likes this.

Yet the influx doesn't have to come. They choose to.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    When HK only has a land mass of 1100km2 it seems utterly retarded to me that they keep bringing more and more people in when the government isn't even satisfying its present public housing quota for folks that were already established/existent here. Its also putting a strain on schools and hospitals.
    I agree 100%.

There are 150/day (or is it 100/day i cant recall) new people arriving, say it is 50,000 per year, ignoring the 10,000/year arriving under the migrant worker visa, so Hong Kong needs at least extra 50,000 units per year just to maintain the status quo. That excludes population increase, expats arriving, etc. Perhaps govt. has finally realised and therefore proposed the lantau metropolis to house 700,000 people. Logically, the land area is still fixed, how many more people can be accommodated within that fixed area? increase the density?

nope, as i said, it's not only reuniting families, there is the general population increase, expats arriving, migrant visas, etc. all increase demand, so Hong Kong needs to continuously build extra housing to accommodate people, but the space to build is still fixed, it is unsustainable.

Skyhook likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6