Like Tree49Likes

How much is public housing in Hong Kong?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

when does a city decide that it has enough people to be pleasant to live in ?

If I had my way, I'd be getting rid of the present China border and merging Shenzhen with Hong Kong, which would elevate the land supply issues. All administrated and controlled by the HKSAR government, of course . Id also fuck off right hand drive cars while I'm at it he he and just stick with the standard left hand drive, like the rest of the country, and most of the world.

When HK only has a land mass of 1100km2 it seems utterly retarded to me that they keep bringing more and more people in when the government isn't even satisfying its present public housing quota for folks that were already established/existent here. Its also putting a strain on schools and hospitals.
    One of my brother in laws is married to a lady from Guangzhou, married for 14 years, ( 12 year old daughter) they applied for public housing over 10 years ago, and are still waiting....... So he ended up getting a job in Shenzhen and lives in SZ full time instead. He's actually quite happy, their 3 bedroom apartment is 1200sqft and has a large balcony.

There are a lot of cases like his, but the cool thing about my bro inlaw is that he doesn't bitch and moan about it, he just waits patiently until his case number comes up. His wife has permanent hkid card too. At the rate that HK is going backwards for menial workers like my bro inlaw, he may not even bother living in HK, he's on better pay than hed get in HK ( Chinese multilingual Chef at a western restaurant ).

Having too many people in a small concentrated place is a very bad idea for most developed cities, HK just pushes the boundaries of comfort , which would have citizens elsewhere in the west going to war with their government if they tried such ( present ) cramped housing on.

Last edited by Skyhook; 01-11-2016 at 04:38 PM.
    TheDevil_666 likes this.

Yet the influx doesn't have to come. They choose to.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    When HK only has a land mass of 1100km2 it seems utterly retarded to me that they keep bringing more and more people in when the government isn't even satisfying its present public housing quota for folks that were already established/existent here. Its also putting a strain on schools and hospitals.
    I agree 100%.

There are 150/day (or is it 100/day i cant recall) new people arriving, say it is 50,000 per year, ignoring the 10,000/year arriving under the migrant worker visa, so Hong Kong needs at least extra 50,000 units per year just to maintain the status quo. That excludes population increase, expats arriving, etc. Perhaps govt. has finally realised and therefore proposed the lantau metropolis to house 700,000 people. Logically, the land area is still fixed, how many more people can be accommodated within that fixed area? increase the density?

Quote Originally Posted by JAherbert:
    I agree 100%.

There are 150/day (or is it 100/day i cant recall) new people arriving, say it is 50,000 per year, ignoring the 10,000/year arriving under the migrant worker visa, so Hong Kong needs at least extra 50,000 units per year just to maintain the status quo. That excludes population increase, expats arriving, etc. Perhaps govt. has finally realised and therefore proposed the lantau metropolis to house 700,000 people. Logically, the land area is still fixed, how many more people can be accommodated within that fixed area? increase the density?
    Given these are usually dependents of HK residents, are you in favour of families being forcibly separated? Husbands, wives and children being forced to live apart?

nope, as i said, it's not only reuniting families, there is the general population increase, expats arriving, migrant visas, etc. all increase demand, so Hong Kong needs to continuously build extra housing to accommodate people, but the space to build is still fixed, it is unsustainable.

Skyhook likes this.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7