Like Tree327Likes

Typhoon Haima - Now T8 (21/10)

Closed Thread
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 24 29 30 31 32 33 LastLast

There are two types of people during a typhoon. The ones who enjoy it as a well-deserved break from the hectic working schedules in HK and the ones who make it their duty to make everyone feel bad for enjoying it.

Hope everyone had a good holiday!

Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by periphery831:
    There are two types of people during a typhoon. The ones who enjoy it as a well-deserved break from the hectic working schedules in HK and the ones who make it their duty to make everyone feel bad for enjoying it.

Hope everyone had a good holiday!
    And those who live somewhere that might actually be badly affected and would care about the reality of the typhoon unlike those blithely unaware such people even exist.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Very sadly, someone was killed in HK during this typhoon. Someone else was treated at hospital after being hit in the head by a flying metal bar.

Typhoon Haima leaves one dead in Hong Kong as city counts the cost | South China Morning Post

The reason fatalities in HK are so rare is because there is an effective warning system in place.

jaykay, Elegiaque, Skyhook and 3 others like this.

Original Post Deleted
    Those things are not mutually exclusive. It takes both infrastructure and a proper warning procedures to minimize risk. After I went out last night, there were huge branches all over the place. These can easily cause serious injury. There are even reports of entire mature trees got toppled. We can't pour concrete on those.

Original Post Deleted
    A few points.

The Philippines does have comprehensive rain and wind warning systems, more so than HK.

Warning systems do not prevent damage but minimise the impact on humans.

The Philippines suffers a lot more because it tends to feel the full force of the storms. So in this last one winds here gusted at 315 kmph, what was it in HK, 80 kmph? Imagine the damage in HK with those winds.

Yes many of the buildings would struggle to withstand the force of a loud fart but when you see steel electricity pylons twisted out of shape you know little would withstand the force. Most schools for example are built to withstand winds of 250 kmph (the new Chinese built rehab centres btw can withstand winds up to 350 kmph, this is now the new standard).
    DirtyHairy, jgl and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex:
    My classmates and I managed to get up when it was snowing like a bitch and make it into university for 9:30am. A large amount of my classmates had to get in from outside London. We all sat in freezing lecture halls and classrooms. We all survived.

I wonder how many Hong Kong people can boast of such resilience. Oh, none. They even complained during the cold snap that the schools should all have been shut down to prevent their precious progeny from wasting away.

Get over yourselves.
    Here we go again. Brits and your stories of snow and resilience. Misplaced pride. All the Canucks & N. Americans are laughing at you.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    A few points.

The Philippines does have comprehensive rain and wind warning systems, more so than HK.

Warning systems do not prevent damage but minimise the impact on humans.

The Philippines suffers a lot more because it tends to feel the full force of the storms. So in this last one winds here gusted at 315 kmph, what was it in HK, 80 kmph? Imagine the damage in HK with those winds.

Yes many of the buildings would struggle to withstand the force of a loud fart but when you see steel electricity pylons twisted out of shape you know little would withstand the force. Most schools for example are built to withstand winds of 250 kmph (the new Chinese built rehab centres btw can withstand winds up to 350 kmph, this is now the new standard).
    There's a great engineering video on YouTube that explains what will happen when HK finally, and inevitably does take a direct hit from a typhoon...I wish I could find it...

Many tall buildings will lose their windows from the pressure differential and people might even be sucked out of high rises.

My drive to work takes around 12 minutes and I could see many downed trees...mature trees...

I agree with TB about the buildings and infrastructure but I have no doubt there would be many deaths/injuries without the T8 warning yesterday...what I would agree on is that it has been issued prematurely in the past...yesterday, that was a T8...not a T9, not a T10...

People have short memories.
    In the eye of the storm: Typhoons in Hong Kong
    Many of those pictures are not all that old....

imparanoic and DirtyHairy like this.

Watchin youtube videos, Taiwan and Philippine Typhoons seem like a completely different class. Their Typhoons are heavy duty sledgehammers while ours are rubber mallots.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    People have short memories.
    In the eye of the storm: Typhoons in Hong Kong
    Many of those pictures are not all that old....
    Very good article