Like Tree327Likes

Typhoon Haima - Now T8 (21/10)

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 27 32 33 34 35

As a Brit, I can safely say we are bloody terrible when it comes to bad weather........especially in London where things grind to a halt due to an inch of snow or too many leaves on the rail lines.....really nothing to be proud of!

imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuremain:
    Watchin youtube videos, Taiwan and Philippine Typhoons seem like a completely different class. Their Typhoons are heavy duty sledgehammers while ours are rubber mallots.
    Typhoon vicente was very strong during 2012, yes, philiphines gets the brunt of most of the typhoons and unfortunately many people die, but HK occasionally gets a strong one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axJMXB9unBk

Hong Kong lashed by strong typhoon - BBC News

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Remember the T8 is for the whole region. HK's not that small everyone experiences the exact same weather conditions. Stating the obvious.

I guess it is the cost of a few lives here and there that is the deciding factor on whether a T8 signal is worthwhile.

By their very nature Typhoons are not fully predictable and it is generally the poor in society that live and work in the more vulnerable areas. Some might feel that it is perfectly fine for them while others are struggling to keep the rain out and the roof on.
    imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex:
    My classmates and I managed to get up when it was snowing like a bitch and make it into university for 9:30am. A large amount of my classmates had to get in from outside London. We all sat in freezing lecture halls and classrooms. We all survived.

I wonder how many Hong Kong people can boast of such resilience. Oh, none. They even complained during the cold snap that the schools should all have been shut down to prevent their precious progeny from wasting away.

Get over yourselves.
    I believe there are different forms of resilience. While yours is enduring cold, to the locals it is enduring the harsh and "force-feeding" education system and the two extremely difficult public exams, and to end up with a job working 12 hours a day to save money to buy some of the most expensive shoe-box sized flats in the world.

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 27 32 33 34 35