Like Tree327Likes

Typhoon Haima - Now T8 (21/10)

Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast

Actually, most of the Pacific information comes from the Joint Typhoon Warning Center, which is a US Navy and Airforce service out of Pearl Harbor. They cover the entire Western Pac. The link is below. The local HK office basically uses their information and adds local details and warnings. The current prognostic reasoning indicates the Typhoon will be 180NM or nautical miles from Hong Kong on the 21st. As such, landfall is indicated very close to HK. Should be interesting.

Joint Typhoon Warning Center (JTWC)

Fiona in HKG and spode like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    I think WindyTy is one of the cutest websites ever. I love wasting time on it, even more than wasting time on GX
    it's a very aesthetic pleasing site

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    it's a very aesthetic pleasing site
    Quite mesmerising.

Wow, 50NM (nautical miles) away from Hong Kong on the 21st.

"Tropical Cyclone Haima will move across the northern part of Luzon and enter the South China Sea on Thursday morning. The Observatory will issue Standby Signal, No. 1 by then. According to the present forecast track, Haima will edge closer to the coast of Guangdong on Friday, and may skirt within 100 kilometers of Hong Kong, posing a threat to the territory. The weather is expected to deteriorate significantly on Friday. There will be frequent squalls and heavy rain. Seas will be rough with swells. Members of the public should remain vigilant and take all precautions as early as possible"

DirtyHairy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    "Tropical Cyclone Haima will move across the northern part of Luzon and enter the South China Sea on Thursday morning. The Observatory will issue Standby Signal, No. 1 by then. According to the present forecast track, Haima will edge closer to the coast of Guangdong on Friday, and may skirt within 100 kilometers of Hong Kong, posing a threat to the territory. The weather is expected to deteriorate significantly on Friday. There will be frequent squalls and heavy rain. Seas will be rough with swells. Members of the public should remain vigilant and take all precautions as early as possible"
    Very aggressive forecast from HKO...
    juanalias likes this.

... I'm not doing my homework on Thursday night!

So, it's been debated here before - tape crosses on windows folks? I see the one of the local malls has been busy taping every glass surface.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    So, it's been debated here before - tape crosses on windows folks? I see the one of the local malls has been busy taping every glass surface.
    I saw that yesterday too. Not seen it before.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Think I did it the first year I was in Hong Kong, but haven't done it in the past 30+ years. It's a pain to remove.
    chingleutsch likes this.

Page 7 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast