Like Tree327Likes

Typhoon Haima - Now T8 (21/10)

Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast

I've never stuck tape across the windows either.

What is the point of tape on the windows? Attempting to have slightly less mess to clean up inside if flying debris hits and breaks the glass?

DirtyHairy likes this.

I might pick some tape up just in case, as I off out to get emergency supplies in - lemons, gin, tonic, vegemite, hokey pokey & chocolate squiggles & curry sauce should cover all the food groups. You can never plan ahead too early for these things.

Although, given there is about half a foot of water downstairs right now, I might wait it out a bit. Just hope there will be some gin left at CWB supermarket, given the large expat population.

There has been entirely too much weather here this week.

lbear40, DirtyHairy and gunsnroses like this.

OMG gracious it feels like the entire South China Sea has been dumped on us yesterday and today! Trees down all over our area and mud slides and it just keeps coming, our drive is a river and the stream running alongside for two kilometres is an inferno.

The possibility it's all going to come again after Thursday and even worse is rather daunting. The ground is so wet already, add high winds.....

I use this lot they seem to be quite good. They usually show predicted track from six or so sources/countries in the region including Bonkers and the USA, cant seem to find it this time just offering up Japan's and Philippine's tracking. Yea they're all usually out anyway so it's obviously notoriously difficult predicting the exact track of a typhoon beyond a couple of hours at a time.

Westpacwx.com | Satellite Imagery
    Westpacwx.com | The #1 source for Typhoon and Severe Weather Coverage in East Asia

Simply appalled at the country parks department who went nuts on the weekend clearing the siding of our road with industrial strimmers, removing small shrubs, saplings, creepers, everything, yes mud everywhere the earth just washing away in big chunks in the rain. What can these idiots be thinking if anything at all!? It's high time Hong Kong started seriously investing in the preservation of the Country Parks by bringing in qualified expertise from abroad. This lot are absolute monkeys, no clue at all. Yell all you like they just cackle back in toothless Hakkanese! By the time you've got anyone who can do anything the damage is done and yes even then it still happens again and again and again until eventualy someone arrives with ten tons of concrete!

Skyhook likes this.

PS- it looks like a monster in strengh if not size. That eye is so clear round and intense

Koen's back

Koen likes this.

Tape on windows - has been debunked all over the place, just google it. Still being put forward by our very own Observatory, however.

It's to reduce damage caused by broken glass, i.e. to hold it in place rather than it blowing in I guess. But just think about it, if there is a force strong enough to shatter a large pane of glass, will the oft-used masking tape do anything along those lines?

Boss arrives back in town on Friday...hubby back Thursday.
    @fionainhkG, we have heavy curtains against our windows. I will have to tie down the furniture tomorrow.

Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    Boss arrives back in town on Friday...hubby back Thursday.
    @fionainhkG, we have heavy curtains against our windows. I will have to tie down the furniture tomorrow.
    Not too sure if boss will make it here on Friday.

Re curtains, I use my heavily-lined blackout ones as a 'barrier'

Quote Originally Posted by Fiona in HKG:
    Not too sure if boss will make it here on Friday.

Re curtains, I use my heavily-lined blackout ones as a 'barrier'
    Same here re curtains. Pets seem ok. they didn't mind the last typhoon. IKEA was surprisingly quiet in CWB today - beginning to pack in preparation for our next move, therefore one grateful person who hates crowds managed to get boxes home without being barged into or knocking any unsuspecting texter down.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Page 8 of 35 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 16 ... LastLast