Like Tree19Likes

MTR Fine: Court Summons for non-payment

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Righto, civil not criminal. I hadn't thought of that distinction, but yes, of course.

As for calling the LRT a tram, well, it can I suppose be considered a tram system, but sure, whatever.

Mm. Okay. Let's see how it goes. Thanks for your reply. I hope at some point someone who has either had this happen or knows of someone who has spots this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    25 Passenger causing a nuisance $5,000 fine

Would cutting toenails come under this?

Public littering?

a

There's probably no posts out there because everyone pays the fine. HK is too small to get away with anything.

I have no idea how MTR works but I would think everything starts as a surcharge then escalates to prosecution if you refuse to cooperate and decide to waste their time. A lot of this will depend upon your attitude and the judge usually asks what the normal penalty is for that case. If the maximum is $10,000 then I think you are going to be paying a couple thousand now if you admit and apologise to your offence.

@jr might be able to pull up some cases for reference to see what other people have been fined and the name of the penalty. Can a court enforce a surcharge? In the worst case, it is considered theft which would be criminal.

Civil fines will not affect a job or visa application. However, if the term is classified as criminal, it will go on your record and block your immigration. In that case you should work with immigration immediately as it can take 6+ months to clear your record to renew your visa. Then your employer finds out and it's rather embarrassing and a headache.

Not all violations are properly coded as civil or criminal, so if in doubt you should check your record. The court often provides inconsistent advice so up to you to reconfirmed anything and everything.

Last edited by MandM!; 31-10-2016 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Walther:
    I have some flimsy excuse for this
    Whats your excuse for not paying $5?
    BCD likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    Whats your excuse for not paying $5?
    He only had 4$
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Go to court. Look contrite. Pay up.
    I agree. got the t-shirt although different offence. there will be a long line on the day, when it is your turn, Look very contrite, don't argue, the judge may ask you if there is any mitigating circumstances, I said sorry, and I got minimum penalty, which I had to pay immediately.

If you pay the MTR now they will inform the Magistrates. When you turn up and register as being there they will say "yes you have paid but you will still be fined today". Be humble and polite and you should get minimum fine. Been there, done it, for another offence. Mine involved the IRD.

Last edited by Flat Hunter; 31-10-2016 at 07:38 PM.
    TheBrit, jrkob and shri like this.