Like Tree43Likes

Air con nonsense

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Air con nonsense

So the temperatures has indeed fallen and, contrary to what my European / American friends may think, 17°C in HK does feel pretty chilly when you're acclimatised to 30°C+ temps from only a matter of weeks ago.

I'm sure I'm not the first and won't be the last to wonder - WHY THE HELL IS THE AIR CON UP SO HIGH IN BUILDINGS?!?! The temperature inside feels at least 5°C cooler than outside, and people have resorted to pulling out their ski jackets and winter (fake) down jackets to combat the old INSIDE!

I know some locals say "because we need it on to keep the air circulation fresh" (the ignorance of that statement is just crazy when you consider the actual science of what's going on). However, in all fairness, I think what people are really referring to (without realising it) is humidity. So the key is to get dehumidifiers running during the late autumn / winter in HK in lieu of air con when the temp drops and the damp humidity rises, and then everyone is happy.

Who's with me on this? Let's start a revolution! Or at least let's rant about it...

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Lived here for over 30 years. It doesn't change. Get used to it. *shrug*

The air quality in our office gets pretty bad if we don't keep the aircons on - central air and very little or no control over temp.

rickyross likes this.

I've heard this mentioned many times by people in offices and buildings I've been in but I don't understand the logic. How are you able to determine the air quality is any better with the air con on? Do air con units in commercial buildings really have HEPA filters built in because I know most domestic ones don't. So where's the filtration coming from?

I've travelled to many densely populated cities in the world and HK always seems be the only place that has odd practice! LOL

JAherbert, DrWho, Skyhook and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pb1234:
    I've heard this mentioned many times by people in offices and buildings I've been in but I don't understand the logic. How are you able to determine the air quality is any better with the air con on? Do air con units in commercial buildings really have HEPA filters built in because I know most domestic ones don't. So where's the filtration coming from?

I've travelled to many densely populated cities in the world and HK always seems be the only place that has odd practice! LOL
    yes I think it does help clean the air. They come in the large building to test the air quality from time to time, seen them around central a lot.

A glass of red wine daily prevents cancer

pb1234 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    yes I think it does help clean the air. They come in the large building to test the air quality from time to time, seen them around central a lot.
    Totally understand but the question remains how do we actually know it makes any difference. I once ran a test in my office (modern building <5 years old) and took readings using a laser particle counter for PM2.5 particles. There was no significant difference between the inside and outside air. But that of course was only one isolated test.

No idea to be fair. But I guarantee you I was freezing my balls in the office today. I have the belief they dont adjust it when it gets colder. Always have to ask facilities to fix it.

pb1234 and angeluscomplex like this.

there are different types of AC system, with some systems, if you switch off the "air conditioning" cooling function you are also switching off the ventilation at the same time so no air flow and no filtration. Some systems will not run unless the cooling function is running, switch it off the ventilation stops, no air flow and no filtration.

Do air con units in commercial buildings really have HEPA filters built in
    No chance. HEPA filters are flammable, and not permitted by Fire Services Dept. regulations (unless it is operating theatre). 99% of legal commercial buildings has cheap air filters made from wire wool , because it is not flammable and meets fire services regulation. Also they can be washed and reused saving the cost of replacing filter media.
    Skyhook likes this.

I keep the air con on when it's this weather because the rooms are stuffy as hell.

rsndl likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast