Like Tree46Likes

Boarding Houses in Wanchai /Causeway bay for domestic help

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Post Boarding Houses in Wanchai /Causeway bay for domestic help

Can anyone help me with short term stay for domestic helps in Wanchai /Causewaybay over Christmas?

FDH's are required to live in.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    FDH's are required to live in.
    Maybe they want to Airbnb their place.

OP - Katherine is spot on, you can't put them in a boarding house

Not a permanent arrangement - the OP is asking for a short term option.

Many helpers do stay in boarding houses over holidays etc.

Best to get your helper to ask her friends what may or may not be good for her. Some of them are pretty seedy.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

FDHs know where those places are. If for some reason your FDH doesn't know, she can ask other FDHs.

However, under the law, they are required to stay in their employer's dwelling. Just a heads up really, so you know the liabilities and consequences.

Previous advice is not correct. Yes it's OK for a helper to stay at a boarding house on her annual leave or holiday. If the family is away and the helper is on holiday as well, then why would the helper be required to stay at the family residence? If she travels abroad on holiday she isn't living with her employer during that period either.

The live in rule is for when the FDH is working.

OP - your helper should ask around because other helpers will know the quality and availability of the boarding houses best.

My live in maid is new to the country with no friends out here . Hence my asking if some one can help . Tried googling for such arrangement in HK but the post are pretty old .

Quote Originally Posted by Lakedistrict:
    My live in maid is new to the country with no friends out here . Hence my asking if some one can help . Tried googling for such arrangement in HK but the post are pretty old .
    If you do not want her in your home while you are away, have you considered allowing her to fly home and enjoy the holiday with people she DOES know rather than (as you have already indicated) in a place she knows no-one?
    SannyJ likes this.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakedistrict:
    There are no other FDHs in the building? Estate? Supermarket? Neighbourhood? She could even go to Central or Causeway Bay on a Sunday and ask around.

If you do not want her in your home while you are away, have you considered allowing her to fly home and enjoy the holiday with people she DOES know rather than (as you have already indicated) in a place she knows no-one?
    Based on your two posts here I am going to guess you don't have a helper.

The OP's FDH is new to HK. This means she very recently arrived, presumably from her home country. The employer is not obliged to pay for a trip home until the end of the contract, so about 2 years from now. And if she has just started working she may not be able to pay for her own flight home out of pocket. While it would be nice for an employer to buy the flight, it's not required and to be honest would be considered very generous for a new hire.
    Last edited by merchantms; 25-11-2016 at 12:21 PM.
    shri, lbear40 and VillanElle like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast