Fuel Surcharges

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Airline fuel hedging is not "gambling". Fuel costs are a huge portion of airline costs and they need to be able to manage those costs. If they do not hedge then they have no idea what their costs will be; if they hedge well then nobody notices, if they hedge badly then you all say they are "gambling". Lose lose all around. I agree that fuel surcharges are annoying and that they should come down but I would not want to be an airline boss right now either, don't think it's an easy job!
    Absolutely right, and many do the same on a personal basis when we lock in an interest rate for a mortgage. It's much easier to budget when you know what the costs will be.

And frankly, we're not getting shafted by airlines, it's a consumer market and we're getting great deals. So they are taking advantage of lax legislation and hiding costs a little bit... they all do it so it's not like it should be a surprise.

I agree -to broaden the discussion a little , how about these 'cheap fares 'and budget airlines ? though !-as a chalkie I have to fly at peak always for holidays (all sob NOW please !) and for Easter ,Air Asia just to BKK. after add ons ,is more than 2.5 K return -with Phuket another leg I haven't looked at yet -to be honest ,Now , direct Phuket is more like $6 K with KA -but without the transit pain... as long as I have been here ,I have found airfares out of HK to be pretty pricey apart from a few weekend specials -and the insanely rigid packages don't cater for the lone woman when the bloke is working unless she takes a friend along -which is not always my idea of easy...lots of exciting places temptingly nearby ,and friends in Australia have less trouble and better deals meeting me there after a 9 hour flight whilst meantime I am flat out getting a 3 hour flight for similar money if I'm lucky....???? always assuming I can get a seat via a local travel agent who can get it right ,write and interpret English, or listen to what I want and call/email me back....?

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Absolutely right, and many do the same on a personal basis when we lock in an interest rate for a mortgage. It's much easier to budget when you know what the costs will be.

And frankly, we're not getting shafted by airlines, it's a consumer market and we're getting great deals. So they are taking advantage of lax legislation and hiding costs a little bit... they all do it so it's not like it should be a surprise.
    Last edited by Miss P; 07-11-2008 at 07:39 PM.

Another stunningly unintelligible post Miss P. I don't know how you do it. As I travel frequently, I'd love to help, but I have NO IDEA if that was a comment, suggestion, question or complaint......

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Another stunningly unintelligible post Miss P. I don't know how you do it. As I travel frequently, I'd love to help, but I have NO IDEA if that was a comment, suggestion, question or complaint......
    must be blind or stupid then...respectfully...

Quote Originally Posted by Miss P:
    must be blind or stupid then...respectfully...
    to go with rude i guess -poor dope-fortunately i never let dealing with a jerk hold me back so have let rip as you see before you- or do you? God knows ...yawn.

I'm afraid your writing style is indeed unorthodox to say the least

thats absolutely right -and thats how I like it -
    try to keep up - and ,er , suck it up

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    I'm afraid your writing style is indeed unorthodox to say the least

The only thing I have been able to deduce from Miss P's posts is that she must be white. She clearly has no other qualification to be teaching. But, of course, that is sufficient in some establishments here.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss P:
    to go with rude i guess -poor dope-fortunately i never let dealing with a jerk hold me back so have let rip as you see before you- or do you? God knows ...yawn.
    That is almost unintelligible. Miss P I am sorry to join in a witch hunt but I understand you are an English teacher so really you should be able to write in coherent sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    The only thing I have been able to deduce from Miss P's posts is that she must be white. She clearly has no other qualification to be teaching. But, of course, that is sufficient in some establishments here.
    Ouch. But based on the available evidence a fair deduction!